Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Molded and backed carpets for the 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
As most of you know we have been doing carpets for some time now. We have played around with different rubberized backings with a few of you.
We at looking at making carpets more like OEM and actually molding the center tunnel and the drivers side e brake area. It adds some cost and we are trying to figure out exactly how much, but my initial guess is about $50 to mold these 2 in addition to the standard kit cost.

My question is how much interest is there for this?

On the early perlon side we have done rubberized backing for the drives and passenger mats, this would add about $50 to the perlon set cost, but so far it has been well received. It keep the area around the pedals from bunching up, and adds some sound deadening.

Again, is there enough interest to make these a standard option?
JoeDees
As a future buyer, your prices are already unbeatable (less than for a VW beetle which are far more common) I don't think $50 would hurt my feelings at all, and I'm poor and cheap.
Andyrew
I would think those are great options. As the quality of restorations continue to rise with the raising value of 914's, higher quality products become more in demand.

I know I would have loved to have that as an option when I got mine.
jmill
QUOTE(DirtyCossack @ Jan 5 2016, 12:13 PM) *

As a future buyer, your prices are already unbeatable (less than for a VW beetle which are far more common) I don't think $50 would hurt my feelings at all, and I'm poor and cheap.

agree.gif
montoya 73 2.0
thumb3d.gif Quality, not quantity!
mgp4591
I'd be in for a set when they're available. Are you sticking with black or would you add some color to the mix?
Mikey914
Would be available for all as an option.
jacquot
Sounds like a good option to me.
JmuRiz
Sounds good to me too..the closer to stock for the carpet and backing would be awesome.
McMark
YES!
EdwardBlume
Man, I just bought a carpet kit! +1 on Yes
rick 918-S
Yes!
Cairo94507
Absolutely. I know I will need a full carpet set and I would love to see a top quality option in as close as stock in appearance as possible.
kid914
interested idea.gif colour?
beerchug.gif
rgalla9146
Yes !
Colors, Yes !
NFBrown
Sounds good to me, Mark. I need new carpets one way or the other.
gereed75
would definitely like to see backed perlon for the main carpet "mat" pieces. The perlon molds well with a bit of heat so the molded tunnel / sides are less important to me.

While you are at it.... a more authentic looking foot pad on the drivers mat would be nice in the perlon. Something closer to original. Worth $100 extra in my eyes. Thanks for doing what you do.
Mikey914
We have actually stepped up to make a more authentic pad. And at no extra cost.
Mikey914
One of the 1st. Note that we have moved the pad to be sewn fully under the drivers heal.
Mikey914
Proof of concept that we can actually mold them. The costs will be commensurate to the amount of molding we need to do. The center tunnel needs to be molded. The section at the drivers ebrake will need to be molded. There is an opportunity to do the mount at the ebrake as well. Unfortunately my sample was destroyed at this area.
Mikey914
Proof of concept.
Tbrown4x4
My car isn't concourse or anything, but I'm Swiss enough to want it right. I'd pay extra for molded and I'm due for carpet soon.
LowBridge
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 5 2016, 10:37 PM) *

Proof of concept that we can actually mold them. The costs will be commensurate to the amount of molding we need to do. The center tunnel needs to be molded. The section at the drivers ebrake will need to be molded. There is an opportunity to do the mount at the ebrake as well. Unfortunately my sample was destroyed at this area.

on my car the PO had already replace the carpet so I'll look and see if in the box of parts I still have the original drivers side carpet with the parking brake. do you need a better sample to mold this area?
Cal
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 5 2016, 10:28 PM) *

These look great. The reproduction carpets currently on the market don't have the gray color edge binding...is it possible to replicate this like the originals?
gereed75
oh yea baby....molded backed perlon with the improved heel pad. Now we are talking. Will order a set with my next parts run. Thanks again
Jonathan Livesay
Yes, please!
Bartlett 914
I think this would be a good way to go. I have new carpets. I used Velcro to hold them in place. Not really happy with the appearance. I think a molded backed carpet would lay flatter and look less wrinkled.
sbsix
Molded around the tunnel, etc and in black is what I would need. Your products and service are second to none, so the extra cost is well worth it.
Mikey914
QUOTE(LowBridge @ Jan 6 2016, 04:14 AM) *

on my car the PO had already replace the carpet so I'll look and see if in the box of parts I still have the original drivers side carpet with the parking brake. do you need a better sample to mold this area?

I can reconstruct that area, buy need a picture to see what was there. I have a pretty good idea from looking at the car, but I just need a little more information.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Cal @ Jan 6 2016, 06:56 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 5 2016, 10:28 PM) *

These look great. The reproduction carpets currently on the market don't have the gray color edge binding...is it possible to replicate this like the originals?

Edge binding is simple a matter of changing material, so yes, it's a pretty simple matter.
LowBridge
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 6 2016, 11:56 AM) *

QUOTE(LowBridge @ Jan 6 2016, 04:14 AM) *

I can reconstruct that area, buy need a picture to see what was there. I have a pretty good idea from looking at the car, but I just need a little more information.

I'll send you some pic's tonight
RoadGlue
You know I'm down for a set if you do this!
jkb944t
I just ordered all my rubber and carpet this week and I would have been glad to pay $50 more to have it contoured.

How soon would this option be available?

Jeff B
Mikey914
QUOTE(jkb944t @ Jan 7 2016, 04:56 AM) *

I just ordered all my rubber and carpet this week and I would have been glad to pay $50 more to have it contoured.

How soon would this option be available?

Jeff B

These are about 4-6 weeks before we can start making them.
pete000
Wow, I will be in for a set for sure !
porbmw
Hi Mark

Re carpet sets.

I would think that carpet sets are almost as important a product as the rubber bits and pieces you have been supplying us.

I am not going to admit to the amount that I would spend for high quality, correct carpet.

For most of us, I think:

a)The rubber backing is a priority..
b)The next issue is the piping...for some reason, repro are (almost always, if not always) black....when grey (that is how we spell it up here) is correct...and black just looks SO wrong
c)Then there is the heel pad. I am tempted to take one from an existing carpet and install it on replacement carpet....it would be appreciated if you could get the appearance as close to OEM as posible, as it really does become noticeable.

Then....for the few of us that are painful exceptions...there is the issue of "correct" carpet for a 1970-6. The 1970-6 was apparently a "one-off"(of course)....it used felt...and then switched to a different material in 1971. IF SOMEBODY out there has the correct material, I would swing heavy.

I am stuck with looking for the correct felt carpet material...but I think there are many of us who would salivate at a more correct carpet and pay the Price.

Paul
Mikey914
We recently did a reproduction of the passenger foot well rest from an original, and I'd say we are pretty dam close. I do believe the diference seen is that of diferent die lots and an older piece with some wear and dirt.
mtndawg
I'm interested in the new carpet option.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 5 2016, 11:28 PM) *

Want!
rudedude
I'm with at least one other that wants a correct set for an early 6.
Thanks for all you do.
JRust
How about a molded firewall replacement. No more backpad just a nice molded carpet
RoadGlue
QUOTE(JRust @ Jan 11 2016, 12:45 PM) *

How about a molded firewall replacement. No more backpad just a nice molded carpet

cheer.gif want
mr914
Want now
steuspeed
I would want as close to OEM as possible. Not a fan of the black edging either. Needs to be higher quality. Rubber backing sounds like a good idea.
Mikey914
Yes the light grey will be used. We have a vinyl pad that's not really that close to OEM, but much better than what was used before. We may invest in the tooling to make the early pads, but it could add as much as $75 to the cost. Really depends on the demand. The Early floor pad is not like the late, and there weren't as many cars that would need them. Yet alone enough people that care enough to pay the difference.
The demographic that is that demanding would probably spring for NOS at $800, but

I can't sell as NOS, as it's not. Not like I can find mint condition parts sitting in my attic like some.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.