Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel tank baffles.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mbseto
Anyone have a pic of a split or cut open fuel tank? Not planning on opening my tank, just curious what the baffles look like and how tricky it is to clean it out.

Thanks.
jmill
What baffles? I might have missed them the last time I looked but I didn't see anything I'd consider a baffle in there.

This is a baffle:

74ravenna
QUOTE(jmill @ Jan 5 2016, 01:35 PM) *

What baffles? I might have missed them the last time I looked but I didn't see anything I'd consider a baffle in there.

This is a baffle:

There is a baffle very much like the one you pictured about midway down the tank.

I have no idea how it can be cleaned on the back side.

Steve
74ravenna
QUOTE(mbseto @ Jan 5 2016, 01:25 PM) *

Anyone have a pic of a split or cut open fuel tank? Not planning on opening my tank, just curious what the baffles look like and how tricky it is to clean it out.

Thanks.

I think its going to be tricky to clean the back side. You can see the baffle pretty easily by shining a flashlight in your fill opening or your sending unit opening, that's assuming those are off the car which I'm guessing they are.
After you clean the tank I think I'd put in another fuel filter someplace easy to access for routine replacement.

BeatNavy
Google "how to clean a gas tank." Lots of methods, depending on who you ask, but most involve some strong solvent (e.g., Marine Clean), a variety of abrasive materials (e.g., loose nuts and bolts), time, and agitation. I saw one video of a guy that drags his around through the fields with his tractor. NOT necessarily what I'd recommend, but high marks for imagination.
jmill
Good to know. Never pulled out my sender. Just eyeballed the sock. I know guys use bits of chain along with the nuts and bolts.
mbseto
Was planning on using the chain or a bucket of bolts, mostly just curious what's in there. I figure at some point, someone must have opened one up...
Mark Henry
IIRC it's just a ring around the pick-up 3-4 inches high.
Mark Henry

OK maybe 6-7 inches tall wink.gif
It's called a surge ring, the FI system needs to always have a constant supply, fuel in the ring only has to last a short period.
It likely has a small hole somewhere in the bottom of the ring.

IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 5 2016, 02:28 PM) *

It's called a surge ring, the FI system needs to always have a constant supply, fuel in the ring only has to last a short period.

IPB Image

You can clearly see the bottom of the center divider baffle behind the round pickup in your image.
shades.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 5 2016, 05:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 5 2016, 02:28 PM) *

IPB Image

You can clearly see the bottom of the center divider baffle behind the round pickup in your image.
shades.gif

Ahhh...so is it basicly just a straight up plate? How high is it?
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 6 2016, 01:42 PM) *

Ahhh...so is it basicly just a straight up plate? How high is it?

Mark, IIRC it basically goes all the way up and across, but it does not follow the form of the tank to create a "seal." I think there are four or five "quarter-sized" holes in the plate to allow flow.
Steve
I still had gas starvation issues with my stock 3.2 DME motor. If the tank was half full or less, during hard right turns the motor would cut out. Since moving to PMS's fuel cell I no longer have any problems.
r_towle
Baffle cleaning is simple.
Bring,the tank to a radiator shop and have them boil the tank, it will be clean.
74ravenna
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 6 2016, 08:37 PM) *

Baffle cleaning is simple.
Bring,the tank to a radiator shop and have them boil the tank, it will be clean.

laugh.gif

You got that right! I tried it once myself, this time the pros are doing it.
TVRLOTUSTR3
MEK works good.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Steve @ Jan 6 2016, 08:31 PM) *

I still had gas starvation issues with my stock 3.2 DME motor. If the tank was half full or less, during hard right turns the motor would cut out. Since moving to PMS's fuel cell I no longer have any problems.

If you are having starvation issues the cheapest fix is to build a Surge Tank.
A surge tank example would be a 4" round vertical tube, could make it as high as the trunk bottom to hood. It has 4 ports, three top one bottom. It runs 2 pumps, the gas tank to surge tank is a regular carb pump using a top port to return, the feed is a FI pump and return.
Surge tanks can be as small as a couple liters for street, for race I'd make it as tall as you can.
Surge tank in the engine bay may work better for the 914.

http://www.sdsefi.com/techsurge.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.