Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiberglass Flared Car in Scottsdale, AZ
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VWTortuga336
I spoke with the owner of this car yesterday. The car seems decent enough, but the owner did send me some alarming pics of looks to be cracked fiberglass on the door jab and door latches. The ad states it has fiberglss flares, but how much of the car is fiberglass here? Do they make an entire fiberglass shell?

He's going to be removing the rocker covers and sending more pics of the common rust areas later this week, but I am interested to see what everyone here thinks about these pics.

Here is a link to the CL ad.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/5387173107.html
ThePaintedMan
Run, don't walk away from that car. Those areas should all be metal. Someone did a nice fiberglass cover up job of what is likely a TON of rust underneath.
PanelBilly
Look elsewhere unless you were planning on doing a BIG project.
Sedonut
It's been for sale a Loooooong time. He was at $5500 for a couple of months. I like the door latch held on by JB weld, don't slam the door too hard.

I looked at a yellow one down in Phoenix about two months ago, the body looked nice, hell hole was bad, passenger long was really bad. Even Arizona 914's rust.

Looks like you should run away.
jasons
That's like a mile from me. If anyone is interested, I've never seen the car nor will I go preview it for you. From those pics, I feel comfortable saying "don't bother".
Chris H.
Did you see the roller Brad Mayeur has in the classifieds? $500! Needs a suspension ear but other than that it looks very clean. Brad could do the repair for you (you'd have to pay for it but it'd be worth it).
Grandpa Walter
Can someone please help me. HOw do you post a car for sale? Do you create a blog.

Yeah stay away from the car... bod is shot.
Mueller
QUOTE(Grandpa Walter @ Jan 6 2016, 11:12 AM) *

Can someone please help me. HOw do you post a car for sale? Do you create a blog.

Go to the Classifieds section, create post smile.gif

> 914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
Grandpa Walter
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 6 2016, 01:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Grandpa Walter @ Jan 6 2016, 11:12 AM) *

Go to the Classifieds section, create post :)

> 914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers

There is no " create post" I logged in. Sorry BUT I am not familar with this type of format.
Mueller
"New Thread"

Upper right hand corner.
brant
run away!!!

that car is rusted out and the rust holes are filled with fiberglass matt and bondo
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Grandpa Walter @ Jan 6 2016, 01:12 PM) *

Whatever it is, I'm interested smile.gif

welcome.png
Grandpa Walter
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 6 2016, 01:44 PM) *

"New Thread"

Upper right hand corner.

TY I got it posted thanks.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Grandpa Walter @ Jan 6 2016, 02:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 6 2016, 01:44 PM) *

"New Thread"

Upper right hand corner.

TY I got it posted thanks.

Admin will have to move it into the classifieds.
Mueller
$500 might be too much for this car unless it came with some great spare parts...the 'glass in spots that shouldn't have any is really scary!

I wonder if they ever had wider wheels on it or just rocked the skinny Riveras with the flares the entire time?
SKL1
RUN FORREST RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
whitetwinturbo
stromberg.gif stromberg.gif stromberg.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(jasons @ Jan 6 2016, 12:05 PM) *

That's like a mile from me. If anyone is interested, I've never seen the car nor will I go preview it for you. From those pics, I feel comfortable saying "don't bother".

av-943.gif Ditto!
Tbrown4x4
This guy is a nut job.

"No body rust
Has a floor board patch under driver seat
There is rust behind driver seat where firewall and side panel come together in engine bay"

Did he read his own ad?
Sedonut
The "no body rust" gets me. That shell is a rusted away POS.

It reminds me of the 914-6 I looked at many years ago, I asked the guy twice if it had ever been hit, He said no both times. When I got to the car after a 1.5 hour drive he admitted the car had been cut in half in the passenger compartment, so "neither end had been hit".

whitetwinturbo
..............buff out that rust?
chair.gif
Click to view attachment
VWTortuga336
Owner sent me more pics this morning. Wasn't as bad as I was thinking it was going to be

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Then he sent these barf.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
brant
still not pretty
previously repaired
and if you repeat the work, it will need another paint job too by the time its finished...
ThePaintedMan
agree.gif

It may not be as bad as you thought, but it's not good. Lots of "patching" done on that car means you'll be redoing stuff, which can take twice as long as it would to cut out and repair original rusted sheetmetal.
SKL1
No offense, but if you don't think that is that bad, I'm not sure what meds you're on...

The patch jobs are horrible IMHO- that thing needs MAJOR rust repair.

Keep looking- there are better options out there!
whitetwinturbo
.............help..........I'm melting icon8.gif
VWTortuga336
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Jan 8 2016, 02:43 PM) *

No offense, but if you don't think that is that bad, I'm not sure what meds you're on...

The patch jobs are horrible IMHO- that thing needs MAJOR rust repair.

Keep looking- there are better options out there!

I was afraid I was too subtle about my feelings toward this car. My post reads:

Owner sent me more pics this morning. Wasn't as bad as I was thinking it was going to be

Then he sent these barf.gif

I'm not buying this one.

Chris H.
Did you look at the one in the classifieds? It'll be gone soon. 914ltd is selling it. No BS with Brad. $500...I'd buy it myself if I had the room.

That flared car is coming apart at the seams. Anyone who uses JB Weld on a DOOR LATCH is screwy.gif If you media blasted it it'd disappear.

ndfrigi
try looking for a different car. not this if possible.
Grandpa Walter
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jan 8 2016, 04:13 PM) *

try looking for a different car. not this if possible.

how do you opt out of a this thread,??? I keep gettting messages.
went to my control panel and see view option clilcked and it says pruning of off? I am new to Blogging.
whitetwinturbo
poke.gif ......if you are new to 914's then this is a good item to be subscribed too bye1.gif
Grandpa Walter
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Jan 8 2016, 04:32 PM) *

poke.gif ......if you are new to 914's then this is a good item to be subscribed too bye1.gif

I am not new to 914's . AM new to blogging! Have no need to be on this thread any longer.
Grandpa Walter
QUOTE(Grandpa Walter @ Jan 8 2016, 04:37 PM) *

QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Jan 8 2016, 04:32 PM) *

I am not new to 914's . AM new to blogging! Have no need to be on this thread any longer.

After seeing all the pics and the comments on this AZ car. you have to admit it is JUNK.
VWTortuga336
I think we all agree on that dead horse.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.