Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Setting Top Ring Gap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
howdy folks

checking and setting ring gap -- wondering what accepted norms are, particularly for the top ring.

the KB instructions indicate to run a 20-40% larger top ring gap than stock. i've got an 018 top ring gap out of the box, thinking about opening it up to around 022+?

happy for a little guidance here.

cheers, n
beerchug.gif
nebreitling
check 1... check 2....

this thing on?? anyone have experience with these rings and pistons?
Demick
There should be instructions with the KB's. Isn't the guidance between .005" and .006" per inch of piston diameter? 96mm pistons are just under 4" in diameter, so you should have between .020" and .025" end gap for the top ring (if I remembered the instructions correctly).

Demick
nebreitling
there are (instructions), but they just say to gap the top ring 20-40% greater than stock. stock is a fairly wide range.

i decided that i'm just gonna go for 022 on the top ring and 015 on the second. i think that ought to do it... mueba.gif

can't wait to fire this thing UP!
Trekkor
This is good.
When are you gonna light it off?

KT
nebreitling
depends on the weather this weekend. i'm gonna button up the top end tomorrow, hopefully install it and fire it friday. but i've got a load of work i need to do as well before friday.

either friday or saturday evening before it gets dark. i'll supply the beer if anyone wants to watch!

(totally nervous)

n
Demick
Here's the instructions you're missing.

Demick
Demick
.....and this
nebreitling
thanks demick -- i didn't have that!
nebreitling
better open 'em up to 24!
Jake Raby
.0065 per inch of bore for the top ring

.0043 per inch on the second ring

This is with .002 skirt clearance and a plateau cylinder finish(280/450).

nebreitling
excellent, jake. thanks so much.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.