Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiper position
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cal
What's the proper position for the windshield wiper arms? Here are two photos of low mileage examples. Do these seem to be positioned relatively high in the windshield.....in the sight line of the driver? My silver 2.0L has them lower but one arm overlaps the decorative frame slightly. Which is correct?

Larmo63
Run them how you want them. I have mine set like the red car.
Cairo94507
Or you could do the wiper mod so they park on the passenger side of the window. Or if you don't drive in the rain just take them off.
Dave_Darling
Check your Haynes manual. They have a photo with a diagram of how the arms are positioned when parked. There was a measurement of the distance between or angle between the wiper arms, I think.

--DD
Tom_T
QUOTE(Cal @ Jan 6 2016, 07:07 PM) *

What's the proper position for the windshield wiper arms? Here are two photos of low mileage examples. Do these seem to be positioned relatively high in the windshield.....in the sight line of the driver? My silver 2.0L has them lower but one arm overlaps the decorative frame slightly. Which is correct?

IPB Image

Cal -

IIRC there was some issue with one or more batches of the OEM wiper arms being mfgd. a few mm's too long on the DS ones, ergo the overlap in the DS one in your pic above. AFAIR the position you have above is about right, but the wiper blade rubber should just miss the aluminum "chrome" windshield trim. So you may have the wrong length on there.

I think there is a way to adjust the flat arm bit into the "U" shaped base a bit to shorten it by a few mm's to miss, but it may damage the paint.

Also, the R & L were originally different lengths IIRC on mine, so that may be the issue.

Otherwise, run them like the Marathon Blue one which just misses the trim, & appears to be no higher than the instrument pod cowl anyway, if it doesn't bother you.

Another trick - since the arms mount on a toothed shaft that the arms can only engage at those points with its female teeth (that term conjures bad dreams blink.gif ) - is to manually play around a bit with the tooth positions on the shaft(s) before mounting the motor/arms/shafts (or by uninstalling them) to get the lowest possible DS position without touching the trim.

This is one of those post resto/repaint things that needs to be fine tuned if you had them out for painting. At least your headlights/eyebrows/hood all look well fitted & adjusted!

Both the Haynes & Factory 8 vol. manuals (or CD thereof) have the wiper arm setting, as well as the shaft adjusting procedure in the factory one.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
fixer34
I was tired of having the wiper in my field of view so I did the passenger side park mod. Looks a little strange because the of bend on the blade arms, but they are out of the way and don't overlap the chrome trim.
Mine is the green one in the middle of the picture.
Also gives you some reference about how other cars look.

Click to view attachment
Cal
Great info.....thanks guys!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.