Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trailing Arm Removal / Refresh Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Amphicar770
Hi All,

OK, so I have the axle removed along with the brakes, etc. Have loosened all the bolts but have not dropped the trailing arm yet. Had a couple of amateur questions before I do.

1. It almost seems like the pivot shaft will get hung up on the metal near the rocker panel. Do I simply remove the 3 bolts on the link bearing (item 5) and then lower it from that side to fanagle the pivot shaft out.

2. I see reference to marking the the shims. As I can not see the shims until the link bearing is removed, what / where exactly am I marking?

3. What is best way to remove the rear wheel hub (I do have a press). Do I unbolt item 11 (bearing cover?) before I press or pull the bearing or hub out?

Thanks.

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
It's all really pretty simple.

The arm is easier to access if you have the rocker cover off, but you don't have to and I didn't do that. You will instantly see that the squarish cover HAS to come off to access the bearing.

Don't forget to put it back on before you put the hub back in, some people here who will go un-named have done that….(not me, but almost)
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Jan 6 2016, 08:09 PM) *

Hi All,

OK, so I have the axle removed along with the brakes, etc. Have loosened all the bolts but have not dropped the trailing arm yet. Had a couple of amateur questions before I do.

1. It almost seems like the pivot shaft will get hung up on the metal near the rocker panel. Do I simply remove the 3 bolts on the link bearing (item 5) and then lower it from that side to fanagle the pivot shaft out.

ans. Yes

2. I see reference to marking the the shims. As I can not see the shims until the link bearing is removed, what / where exactly am I marking?

ans. I believed the shim is just like a washer to change the Positive or Negative camber and what I know u mark the number 5 part where it is seated to the long. this will pretty much retain the tow in or two out alignment. but if u will do a 4 corner alignment after your repairs, dont worry about the markings.

3. What is best way to remove the rear wheel hub (I do have a press). Do I unbolt item 11 (bearing cover?) before I press or pull the bearing or hub out?

ans. Yes

Thanks.

Click to view attachment

Am I right sir Lawrence-Larmo63?
Amphicar770
Also, is this a grease seal of some sort? I do not see it shown as a separate item on any of the diagrams?

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
That's just a machined portion of the bearing housing/trailing arm itself.
Amphicar770
OK, I am stuck once again, figure I will keep building on this same thread so that maybe it helps others in the future.

I have the trailing arms out but the wheel hub is still on there. I was thinking I might press it out on the HF 20-ton press using whatever socket is just smaller than the inner diameter of the bearing.

I have watched Erics video for R&R of the bearing with the press. However, it looks like the hub itself would get in the way of trying to press that part out. (it is already removed in Eric's video). Might have been easier to use a puller while the arm was still in the car?

Anyhow, what is best way to remove the wheel hub now that the trailing arm is out of the car?

Thanks.

914_teener
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Jan 8 2016, 08:14 PM) *

OK, I am stuck once again, figure I will keep building on this same thread so that maybe it helps others in the future.

I have the trailing arms out but the wheel hub is still on there. I was thinking I might press it out on the HF 20-ton press using whatever socket is just smaller than the inner diameter of the bearing.

I have watched Erics video for R&R of the bearing with the press. However, it looks like the hub itself would get in the way of trying to press that part out. (it is already removed in Eric's video). Might have been easier to use a puller while the arm was still in the car?

Anyhow, what is best way to remove the wheel hub now that the trailing arm is out of the car?

Thanks.

In a press......sometimes it is seized and rusted.....like yours is.
Amphicar770
The beartings are out! beerchug.gif

To remove the hub I simply held it up on a block of wood and then used a 1.25"socket and BFH (big hammer) to knock it out. Came out pretty easily.

I then used the press to remove the bearing. It was in there pretty tight so would have been a bear without the press. Used a piece from an autoparts store loaner bearing removal kit as a "suitable drift"

Here are pics of hub removal.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Amphicar770
Both out. One all blasted clean and ready for powdercoat. Axle stub on #2 put up a real fight, dropped trailing arm with CV still in there and used a 3-jaw puller on that one.

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
Don't allow any powder coating on the inner bearing surface(s)

This is very important!!!!
Amphicar770
I did notice that neither side of my car had shims as shown in #9. Also do not see "stopper" part #4 (9 needed??).

Is that "normal"?

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.