Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash Wiring Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikey
I took the original wiring harness out of my 914-6 before having the tub bodyworked and painted. I bought a NOS wiring harness to replace the original shoddy one. The NOS one doesn't seem to have connections for the fog light switch, just the headlight and emergency flasher switches. It also doesn't have the wiring for the ignition key buzzer.

Will the headlight switch turn on both the foglights and headlights? Could this be a european harness? Is there a way to wire in a fog light switch?
Rand
If you're only missing the wires to the switch (and do have wires between the fog lights and relay), it should be pretty easy. Do you still have the stock relay/fuse panel, or was that replaced with your new harness?
914Sixer
WHAT NUMBER WAS ON THE WIRING HARNESS? IT SHOULD HAVE ENDED IN .10. THE EURO HARENESS ENDED IN .13, AND .16. I DO NOT HAVE MY PARTS BOOK HERE TO CHECK FULL NUMBER.
mikey
WHAT NUMBER WAS ON THE WIRING HARNESS?

I'll check the harness to see if the part number ends in 13 or 10. I know the number was on the plastic bag it came in but that's long gone.

Do you still have the stock relay/fuse panel, or was that replaced with your new harness?

I replaced the original fuse panel with the upgraded one with the blade fuses. I still have the old fuse panel though. The sockets that the relays plug into are part of the new harness. I still have the hold harness for comparison though. I'm pretty sure that there is wiring between one of the relays and the fog lights in the new harness.

A definitive wiring diagram of the 914-6 is nearly impossible to find. I've got two "official" diagrams and there are discrepancies between them both. I'm even triple checking with an early 4cyl diagram.

Actually, I'm in a little over my head on this one.

blink.gif
Joe Ricard
Just run a separate hot wire to the driving light switch through to a relay. Run heavy gauge wire from battery to relay and then to lights. This way you can run head lights on high beam or low beam with driving lights on. Also allows you to run 100W bulbs happy11.gif
The ground wire on the original switch is for lighting the center of the pull knob.
mikey
This way you can run head lights on high beam or low beam with driving lights on

How do the fog lights operate normally? I found this modification on rennlist a few months that allows the foglights to work independently of the headlights. It seems to say the foglights usually go out when you switch on the high beams..
mikey
Oops, forgot the link:

http://members.rennlist.com/demick/fogrewire.html
Joe Ricard
Yup thats how they work from the factory. Don't know why maybe too bright. the way mine are wired I can run Euro H-4 55w 65 on high beam and the 100w driving lights at teh same time. It's like light day light. DO NOT run this on the freeway is really is too bright. but back roads where a deer could jump out wll at least it will be cooked 1st.
SirAndy
QUOTE (mikey @ Mar 16 2005, 09:26 PM)
It seems to say the foglights usually go out when you switch on the high beams..

yes. all european cars do that. simple explanation:

- it is illegal in europe to run the fog-lights if there is no fog! (using them as "running lights")

- because you can only use them when it's foggy and the high-beams are completely useless in fog (they will blind YOU), the fog lights only work with the low beams.

also, i'm not sure if all 914-6 had foglights from the factory. it might have been an option.
i know for a fact that early 4-cyl. ('70-'71) only had foglights as an option.
my '70 did not have wires for fog lights at all!

cool.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.