Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bobm
I have a 1970 914-6 that is currently in the paint shop.
Before the f/r spoilers and valance's gets painted I wanted to
ask about the finish. Is there supposed to be a texture (stone guard type/heavy,light) under the paint? What is the correct sheen (flat/semi/satin)?
Also I have seen photo's of the rear valance with both a exhaust hole and just a cut-out
Which is correct for a March-1970 914-6.
Thanks guy's
Tom_T
Yes on the texture under paint, & one way is to use Wurth Shutz under the paint (over primer - these days an epoxy primer is recco'd for rust protection), then the finish is a satin black. It's on all 4 F & R valances & both rocker panels.

The O&H Forum has a couple of topics on this texture finish & proper "grade" or "color" of satin black, &/or you can PM Pat Garvey (O&H Mod.) for more guidance. Dave W/toolguy & Andy T./SocalAndy on here are both great 914-6 resto resources too FYI.

Note that this texture stone gaurd was also used under the body color paint on the belly bans, wheels wells, etc. "down under" with the body color gloss paint over that. When you see the heavily textured black undercoating on 914s & 911s/912s of that era, it was a dealer applied option.

The 70 MYs used "port-hole" or "snow-plow" style rear valances (2 knicknames for same early valance), the shorter notched valance didn't come out until 72 or 73 MY (IIRC 72).

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
gandalf_025
Neither valances or rockers had any texture on my car... just paint..
Not sure if it is satin or semi gloss..
Someone that researched it will probably chime in
Martin Baker
I have seen them both ways, schutz, and no schutz. Rockers, and valances. For color, I use SEM trim black. I think this will boil down to early v late build techniques. Textures seem to be finer on early cars. Its tough to duplicate with the modern Wurth gun and products. I have both.
porbmw
I am pretty convinced there was no texture from the factory.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.