Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: brake calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RonnieJ
Forgive me if this has been ask a thousand times but is there any alternative rear brake calipers I can install in replacement of the stock 914 rear calipers? Looking for something that is a direct replacement.
max72914
QUOTE(RonnieJ @ Jan 8 2016, 10:41 AM) *

Forgive me if this has been ask a thousand times but is there any alternative rear brake calipers I can install in replacement of the stock 914 rear calipers? Looking for something that is a direct replacement.

Hi, I was in the same situation a couple months ago, I was searching everywhere for an alternative for my front calipers on my 71. Checked Oreilly's, they've got a set that they would special order from across the country, 35 for the caliper 60 for the shipping or something like that, but I would honestly just recommend toughing it out and getting the calipers at PMB, it ran me 300, but they're definitely worth it. Hope this helps
Dave_Darling
There are options.

There aren't good options.

The Ferrari 308 used the same type of caliper in the rear that our 914 does. The piston size is different, though, so it will change the bias on your brake system. Guess how much those cost, with the Prancing Horse label attached? (Hint: The F-car guys used to buy the $$$$ 914-6 calipers and use them as cheap replacements...)

You can put front brake calipers on the back with a little creativity. This will also change the brake balance, and will leave you with no parking brake at all. Line locks can help restore parking brake function, but they tend to let go at random and leave your car (which you parked at the top of a hill) at the bottom of the hill halfway through someone's door.

Putting larger brakes in the back is a good way to have the car swap ends when you push the middle pedal hard. Exciting, but in all the wrong ways.

My advice is to suck it up and go to PMB.

--DD
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 18 2016, 08:58 AM) *

There are options.

There aren't good options.

Sure there are...

http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...676/9712726.htm biggrin.gif

I think you meant there aren't cheap options.

The Ferrari 308 used the same type of caliper in the rear that our 914 does. The piston size is different, though, so it will change the bias on your brake system. Guess how much those cost, with the Prancing Horse label attached? (Hint: The F-car guys used to buy the $$$$ 914-6 calipers and use them as cheap replacements...)

We actually used to get the Ferrari calipers cheaper until all of the Ferrari bone-yards caught on.

The Ferrari calipers have the bleeder on the wrong side. That will require custom machining to add an additional bleeder ala the late model 914 calipers. $$$$

With the change in the bias, you should have 48mm pistons up front. This will give you a factory 1.6:1 bias ratio. 911 caliper$ ba$ically. Dont want to have 911 calipers up front? You'll be rear bias heavy now and can spin in a panic stop.

You can put front brake calipers on the back with a little creativity. This will also change the brake balance, and will leave you with no parking brake at all. Line locks can help restore parking brake function, but they tend to let go at random and leave your car (which you parked at the top of a hill) at the bottom of the hill halfway through someone's door.

Putting larger brakes in the back is a good way to have the car swap ends when you push the middle pedal hard. Exciting, but in all the wrong ways.

Yup... thumb3d.gif

My advice is to suck it up and go to PMB.

--DD

Awe... wub.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.