Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Woof! Rare VW at S9.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
I've only seen about five of these in person in my lifetime. Now I have one at the shop.

I won't lie, I'm excited about it.

However, finding a windshield.........

jasons
Type 3 Ghia.... A good friend of mine had one. He crapped a brick when he found out how much the rear windshield goes for.
mgp4591
I bought one in 81 for 50 bucks. Sold it 2 months later for 200 so I was ahead- that's how I looked at it but always wished I'd kept it. Looked like a BMW design to me and of course now I know better!
cpavlenko
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jan 8 2016, 05:08 PM) *

I've only seen about five of these in person in my lifetime. Now I have one at the shop.

I won't lie, I'm excited about it.

However, finding a windshield.........

drooley.gif nice ride, I had a friend who had one of these.
hndyhrr
there is one of those around grants pass, oregon somewhere. Saw it last year at a vw park and shine. Relentless was there also.
aircooledtechguy
I like the profile and the rear end on those, but that front-end is just plain ugly to me. To each his own I guess.

There's a guy in the U.K. that is building one right now with a Mendiola front-end and a 3.6L/G50 combo out back. Should be pretty sweet when it's done. . .
SKL1
If you squint, the rear 3/4 view sure reminds me of the first generation Corvair...
Dave_Darling
A buddy of mine has one. It's a garish metallic purple color, though!

--DD
r_towle
I like them, or the notchback.

For the glass, maybe it's a BMW part?
If not, custom laminated glass is common in the hotrod world, so it's possible, but costs.
914_teener
It is cool.

Lines are familiar.

EdwardBlume
Nice vdub!
alfadoc
I remember a friend of my parent's driving one over to our house about 1970. I was in 5th grade and already a rabid car nut. I though it was really cool, and still do. That's the only one I ever saw in the flesh. It's much more "Italian" than anything else Ghia ever did for VW; I guess that's only the Type 1 KG, right? Lots of their designs from that era had those deep body lines. I dig it. I love the airy greenhouse.
914Sixer
VW shop in San Antonio has several in need of restoration BUT not for sale. The ole "were going to restore them", while the tires rot off.
KELTY360
Saw this pimped out version at a VW meet a few years ago. I think they are interesting but the styling seems a little incoherent.

Click to view attachment
Series9
Yeah, I've never met an owner of three different models produced at Karmann.
Series9
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 9 2016, 07:26 PM) *

Saw this pimped out version at a VW meet a few years ago. I think they are interesting but the styling seems a little incoherent.

Click to view attachment

It's beautiful.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jan 9 2016, 04:39 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 9 2016, 07:26 PM) *

Click to view attachment

It's beautiful.

Styling is a little reminiscent of the '62 Dodge Dart.

Click to view attachment
mgp4591
That's a stretch dont'cha think? confused24.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jan 9 2016, 05:11 PM) *

That's a stretch dont'cha think? confused24.gif

Not at all. Look at the greenhouse, very similar. The side sculpting also carries similar design cues and the offset lighting treatment could be from the same design influence. Actually, earlier Mopar lighting shared even more commonalities to the Type 34. Chrysler had a lot of interchange with Italian coach builders during this era.
DBCooper
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jan 9 2016, 04:31 PM) *

My son's had regular and low-light Ghias, a T-34 and the 914, all from Karmann. Here's his "hoodride" T-34 Ghia (1.7 engine from Lapuwali) from eight-ten years ago:

IPB Image

Bulldog9
My neighbor had one of these when I was in High School was pretty much a granny car. I'd love to get my hands on one.
tygaboy
I see a little bit of BMW 3.0 CS in there, too.
Always wanted one of these but the closest I came was a Notchback.
jd74914
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jan 9 2016, 08:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Series9 @ Jan 9 2016, 04:31 PM) *

My son's had regular and low-light Ghias, a T-34 and the 914, all from Karmann. Here's his "hoodride" T-34 Ghia (1.7 engine from Lapuwali) from eight-ten years ago:

IPB Image

Do you have any more pictures of the car DB? drooley.gif
PotterPorsche
These are known as type34 razor ghia.
Here is a fast one

IPB Image

Video

http://youtu.be/DBvH_rdnm0g
TravisNeff
That's cool!
SchwarzHorse
Cool car ! Beutler Porsche ?
..and I instantly thought of its front's similarity to this:

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.