Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early Vs Late
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Puebloswatcop
Okay guys, I know this probably sounds ignorant, but depending on what publication I read there are differing cutoff dates/years for early vs late 914s. So can someone clarify this for me. headbang.gif
mepstein
It really depends. Early/late doors are different dates than early or late steering wheels, bumpers, dashes, brakes, ect. Sometimes there was early, middle, late
toolguy
many different changes in 72,73, depending on where they were in production, changes occurred in the middle of the same year. .
Reading through posts here seems to substantiate that changes were made but not introduced until the current supply of parts were exhausted. . depending on how Han's was feeling that day.
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(toolguy @ Jan 8 2016, 06:58 PM) *

many different changes in 72,73, depending on where they were in production, changes occurred in the middle of the same year. .
Reading through posts here seems to substantiate that changes were made but not introduced until the current supply of parts were exhausted. . depending on how Han's was feeling that day.

Thats what I am running into with my cars. Hans was playing cruel jokes....
JamesM
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 8 2016, 06:57 PM) *

It really depends. Early/late doors are different dates than early or late steering wheels, bumpers, dashes, brakes, ect. Sometimes there was early, middle, late

Especially with doors! There are early, middle, and late all within the 73 model year.

I have had 3 73s the first one had the rare middle doors with the late style windows but no side impact beams, the 2nd had late doors, and the one i just recently picked up is a very early 73 build date 2L and has the early style windows (and also appears to have possibly had A-pillar vinyl)

There were a lot of changes though the years, I usually focus on the major ones, the majority of which occurred in 73.

72 - Interior change to movable passenger seat
73 - side shift transmission, door changes, targa changes, strut housing changes, front brake changes, introduction of the 2.0
75 - Major changes to the bumpers. addition of smog equipment

There were a lot of changes through the years but i think most would consider 73 the year of most major changes, unless you are talking visually in which case the bumper change in 75 was the most drastic.
Tom_T
As you can see above, the early vs late changes were more related to specific parts, systems or features of the 914s, so it might be more helpful to you - as well as to the rest of us to help you out - to give us an idea of what items/issues you're trying to get answered with your specific car.

We don't even know what MY & type 914 you're asking about.

More info of what you're specifically looking for will let us help you ... hopefully. biggrin.gif

PS - The p914.com website also has some of these equipment changes info FYI.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
r_towle
Early front struts, ball joints, brake calipers and brake rotors, and spindle..

Rich
mepstein
Transmission, targa top, mirrors, gas tank, carpet, smile.gif ect
Puebloswatcop
Thanks Guys, So its pretty much what toolguy said...whatever Hans felt was good for the day...lol beer3.gif
injunmort
steering wheel/horn button, hub centric hubs, brake offsets,etc
Kansas 914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 8 2016, 09:58 PM) *

Early front struts, ball joints, brake calipers and brake rotors, and spindle..

Rich

As Rich stated there was a change mid-year in 1972 for front brakes. So you have to know early or late 1972 when ordering brake parts. My '72 is an early car.
SKL1
Early and late is a relative term. My '71 is an early one made in 9/70. My dad had a later '71, made in 3/71. You'd think they were totaly different years- had a lot of differences...
Mark Henry
Early vs late is a more prevalent term used in the VW beetle (and bus) world, as through 1966 and 1968 the type one changed from 111 xxx xxx to 113 xxx xxx parts, 12volt in 1967 and IRS suspension in 1968.
Most will say this change is in 1968 and the bus had huge changes that same year.

In 914's the change to big bumpers (75-) was the most visible early/late change.
dlkawashima
It's not that complicated:

Early: 1970 - 1972
Mid: 1973 - 1974
Late: 1975 - 1976

mepstein
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Jan 9 2016, 02:50 PM) *

It's not that complicated:

Early: 1970 - 1972
Mid: 1973 - 1974
Late: 1975 - 1976

It's not that simple. Just the steering wheel and column for example. Early 70-71, late 72-76
Why does it matter, well an early wheel is an exact hub match for a 911. A late hub needs to be modified and still is not a perfect match.
dlkawashima
All cars have running changes over the years. You're over thinking it.
walterolin
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Jan 9 2016, 11:43 AM) *

Early and late is a relative term. My '71 is an early one made in 9/70. My dad had a later '71, made in 3/71. You'd think they were totaly different years- had a lot of differences...

I have one built 8/70, it is considered to be MY 1970, but it has 1971 paint code - Bahia red.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.