Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question on 6-cylinder lower valve covers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
I've seen some mention of the lower "turbo" valve covers needing machining on 914-6 cars.

When is this the case?

Why is this the case?

Is it always the case?

Anyone have any photos?

No more questions!

On another note... I saw my short-long block this morning and took a few photos. It's a short block with the pistons and cylinders on it, but no heads. boldblue.gif

I'll post some pics later tonight. The follow who is building it is doing a really nice job. He's been building Porsche engines for over 40 years and knows his stuff. He's raced 914s since they came out, but stopped some years ago to build engines in his retirement.

Today he showed me his new project... another 914 race car. I guess when you have the 914 bug, it doesn't ever go away.

Regards,
Lawrence
Q. When is this the case?

A. Always, for the turbo covers. Wes Hildreth did mine when I was in Texas.

Q. Why is this the case?

A. The turbo valve covers are much thicker, because of the ribs on the outside. There's not enough room between the trailing arm and the valve cover to get it on/off.

Q. Is it always the case?

A. Yes, but the exact amount varies per car. There is a rule of thumb, but mine required a bit more metal removed.

Q. Anyone have any photos?

A. Not me, sorry.

-Rusty smoke.gif
nomore4
Pelican has an article with pics: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...urbo_covers.htm
Qarl
Thanks! Exactly what I needed to know.

Karl
J P Stein
Yes indeedy.

To simplify "things", I installed the motor without the lower covers in place. Got out the belt sander and went after them till they went in....plus a bit more JIC. Idot proof rolleyes.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(kellzey @ Jun 13 2003, 08:17 AM)
I've seen some mention of the lower "turbo" valve covers needing machining on 914-6 cars. ... Is it always the case?

maybe so, maybe no. depends on whether the cam towers are accessible or not. i've heard (not personally verified) that the problem is getting the cover off over the studs. pulling the studs and using capscrews (probably in inserts) to retain the covers could be an alternative. it's something on my list to try. i figure if it doesn't work, you can re-install studs on the holes and be little worse off than before.

i can't say if the heads of the bolts would all be accessible, but it seems to me if you can get a wrench on the nuts, you ought to be able to get one on a capscre head...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.