Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeg242s
I am considering getting into the 914 thing. I currently am rebuilding a 1989 Jeep Cherokee significant rust etc. etc. etc. My question is how much more difficult is it to maintain a 914? I am ok mechanially and was wondering if I could maintain a 914, I would love to learn about it and you guys seem to have a lot of information to dispose. Thanks in advance.
scotty914
well body repair will be about the same skill levels, but much more practice on a bad 914. routine mantaince on a 914 is much more than a 89 jeep, figure about 1 to 2 hours every 3000 miles.

but driving it will hook ya real quick, but make sure you buy a car you can drive for a while. that way a year from now when you have it on jack stands you will remember why you are doing it.
nebreitling
Welcome to the board!

you can do it. this board can help.

just be prepared for it to cost you some significant time and money. get a driver, too. that way, before you take it apart, you will have at least gotten some joy out of it, which will sustain you through months of busting your knuckles and watching cash fly out of your ass.

DO IT aktion035.gif
bare 1
Yea takin 90 degree corners that go off camber comin out at 45 on flat ground without tryin real hard is kinda a rush. Weeeee! driving.gif And it's stock!!
ThinAir
From the sounds of what you are doing to the Jeep, you'll have no trouble with 914 work. The others have described it pretty well, although the cost estimates may be a bit high.

Having said that, I'll give you an idea of how addictive having a 914 is:

I've got a 72 that I stripped to restore it, then found out it was gonna cost 3x more than the initial estimate (and I lost my job about the same time) so I put it up on jackstands to get back to eventually. 2 years ago I got a new job (after only being off for 3 months). The first thing I did was start shopping the classifieds here for a new 914. I found a nice 73 in Seattle, flew up there with my son and drove it back in a weekend.

The car is very nice, but the PO had put a bad cam in it and it went flat on the trip. So I installed the engine that I had obtained for the 72. In January (a year ago), I blew out one of the oil galley plugs and lost all the oil. I thought I had an indicator light problem, but plenty of oil so I drove it - 2 miles later I had a frozen up engine.

So the nice 73 has been up on jackstands while I've patiently collected parts. They are all readily available. I just didn't want to shock the budget by doing it all at once. Last weekend I finally got about half the engine put together. I purposely work slow and methodically because I don't want to risk anything going wrong.

Before it goes back on the road I also have to get the clutch tube repaired (welding) - that will happen on Easter weekend. I'm also moving the fuel pump from the engine area to the front of the car. I'm hopeful that I'll have it done in time for the Route 66 Classic in June.

Bear in mind that not every project will take this much time. I live at 7,000 feet and get snow in the winter (and don't have a garage) so I have some issues that warm weather folks don't have. When I get it done I'm gonna have my dream car - and my smile on that first drive is gonna be sooooo BIG that the folks in Southern CA will probably be able to see it! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif These cars are definitely worth the effort and with the aid of this group you can tackle anything!
Always Looking
My only previous experience was a 68 Baja bug in High school that I picked up and drove for two years. 10 years later, I bought my 72 914. Once I got over the Fuel Injection fears, the car is pretty simple to maintain. You can do it. Also costs... I picked up a non-running beater, invested $400 in tires, $200 in parts and $1000 in tools and have a running machine (Don't know how well yet..) Still need suspension and paint and body which is where the real expense is (I think). This board is invaluable.

Good luck

beerchug.gif
jeg242s
Thanks for all the positives guys. I WILL be back here frequently.... and you know what tha means.
skline
Where is Roachport Missouri? I used to live in Kansas City and the surrounding areas. Anyway, to hear these guys talk, its a never ending money pit. Do listen to them 100%. Only about 70%. They can cost a lot of money if you have to do a lot to the car. Body work is included in that also. The engines, you can build yourself for less than you can buy one already done. However, an already to go engine from a reputable place can save you a lot of headaches. I have built about 8 or 10 engines and I just like doing it. Others may not enjoy it as much as I do. Sometimes you make mistakes and they can be costly. Its called the learning curve. They are not kidding about how much fun they are to drive. There isnt another car out there for the money that can do what these cars can do in stock form. If you like them, get one and start driving it. You will be hooked.
Rhodes71/914
Get rid of that Jeep as soon as you are done fixing it and buy a 914. That thing is getting close to 20 years old and will give you nothing but grief. The 914 may give you some grief but it sure is a hellava lot more fun to drive.

Everybody talks about cost to maintain, well here is my experience so far -

I bought my car for $700 not running couple hundred and I got it running. Engine was tired though. $500 got me a 2.0 and sideshift trans. New rings and other little things for the 2.0 and some new tires and I have about $2000 into the car and it is sooo much fun.
rhodyguy
plan on spending $2k more than you want to. that will cover the $4k plus the current owner has thrown at it so far and has just come out of the gate. it can add up so fast you'll be headbang.gif screwy.gif

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.