Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT / calling electrical GURU's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
I am wiring my garage heater . 220 Volts

I have a 220 outlet in the garage but I will need to hard wire the heater, I am posting pictures of both, the heater connectors and the outlet, As I understand L1 is black and L2 to red, Ground to ground, What about the white wire?

Thanks in advance.
Bulldog9
White is "Neutral" - basically the same as ground. If you open your electrical panel you will see that all the ground (bare copper) and neutrals (white) are bonded to a ground strap. At least if your house was wired since the late 70's.
budk
If your heater only needs 2 hots and a ground you can eliminate the neutral (white wire). Some 220v appliances like a stove, need both a 220v circuit for heat and a 110v circuit for clock, etc. In those situations you need the white so that you can get 110v by using a hot lead and the neutral lead.

Does that help?
914itis
Got it, Thanks
fixer34
White is not the same as ground even though they are bonded at the circuit breaker box. If you don't need the white/neutral on the heater, tape the wire off and fold it back. It looks like you are running a Romex (plastic) type cable; be VERY sure that the green/ground wire is securely connected at both ends and to a good building ground point like a cold water pipe.

Also curious why you need to hard wire it in. If you already have a 220v outlet, can't you make up a short cord with a plug? If not, also install a circuit breaker/disconnect in the garage by the heater. You don't want to be running to the basement in a hurry if it starts smoking/burning.
stugray
In the second pic (of the plug) it looks like the white & Ground are connected together. That is incorrect (at the plug end).

White and Ground ARE the same but only AT the breaker panel.
They can never be connected together anywhere else.
For a three prong 220V plug, the only wires required are: Phase1(hot-blk), Phase2(hot-red), GND (green). No neutral wire is used in a 3 prong.

If the circuit needs to be hardwired at the panel, then you will need two open breaker slots, one on each phase.
One of these will hook to red, and snap into the panel
Another of these will hook to black, and snap into the panel
The Ground will hook to the Ground bus bar in the panel.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.