Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: securing gas tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JB 914
ok got my gas tank back all shiny & powder coated wub.gif

how do i secure it? no straps on mine, i just lifted it out. still had the rubber thingies that it sits on from the sides.
Jeroen
get some new (or used) straps
I'm sure someone has them laying around collecting dust biggrin.gif
there's also a plastic thingie that sits on top of the tank between the strap and the tank

post pics of the freshly powdercoated tank
new powdercoated parts are always nice too look at biggrin.gif
skline
The person to ask would be Clayton if he has the ones we pulled out of the car your tank came from. He may have them in a box in his storage. He went through and saved all the little nuts and bolts and stuff he thought would be needed.
spunone
Heh Joe did the powder coater have a problem painting your tank and did you strip off all the paint?? Thanks
Allan
I think I have a set on my parts car if you need them. PM me you address and I'll get them to for for the cost of BBQing on the 2nd. wink.gif

Allan
JB 914
QUOTE (spunone @ Mar 17 2005, 06:26 AM)
Heh Joe did the powder coater have a problem painting your tank and did you strip off all the paint?? Thanks

I took the Tank to Mattson's Radiator in Stanton, CA and they hot tanked it, bead blasted it inside and out. Then they did the Renu process on the inside of the tank and powder coated the outside. they did a great job. i'll post pics later
spunone
If you don't mind telling how much did they charge? rolleyes.gif
Dave_Darling
Don't forget to pad the straps where they touch the tank! I don't recall what the factory used (cotton batting, maybe??) but you can use a strip of neoprene rubber or foam rubber or (thin) old carpet or whatever you have on hand. Without the padding, the paint (powder) will scrape off and the tank might, in that spot, eventually start rusting again...

--DD
skline
You really dont want to know what he paid for it. I was shocked when I saw the bill. They cut a hole in the tank and then weld it back up when they are done. I guess they need to in order to clean the inside of the tank all the way. The tank is like brand new now.
GWN7
The piece that goes on top is called a "bridge", keeps the strap from crimping the seam edge of the tank. There are also the two rubber buffers that go on each end.

You can get rubber sheeting (thin stuff) and cut strips to go under the strap from your local Home Depot type place. Ask in the plumbing section for a rubber shower pan. About $20 will get you enough to do several 100's cars or they might have it on a roll and you can get what you need.
JB 914
new tank biggrin.gif
JoeSharp
Joe: I have the back half. That means I prolly have the front half also, but no one knows where it is. There lots of boxes here and your are welcome to come over and look. But I can't say for sure.
biggrin.gif Joe
JB 914
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Mar 17 2005, 05:44 PM)
Joe: I have the back half. That means I prolly have the front half also, but no one knows where it is. There lots of boxes here and your are welcome to come over and look. But I can't say for sure.
biggrin.gif Joe

Thanks Joe,

i'll probably end up just fabricating something to help hold it down. i've got the rubber pieces that fit on the sides and the front pads. i'll just figure something out to work and look nice. Think i'll paint the top of the gas cap gloss black too biggrin.gif
Allan
C'mon Joe, I have what you need. Just let me know where to send it. I'll end up at the start up party with a ton of stuff.

Allan biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
Remember that there are pads glued to the chassis of the car. I think the tank does rest on them? In my car, they had been replaced with indoor/outdoor carpeting. That I think had gotten wet at some point... sad.gif I glued in some neoprene to replace the carpet.

--DD
Drex
does anyone have a picture
of the exact location of the rubber buffers for the fuel tank

ie picture of them in without the gas tank in?

thanks

Drex
zoomCat
QUOTE(Drex @ May 13 2023, 11:26 AM) *

thanks

Drex

Here ya go:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=364940&hl=
SirAndy
QUOTE(Drex @ May 13 2023, 08:26 AM) *

@Drex
The two big rubber blocks on each end don't sit in the cavity without the tank. It's a slip/friction fit and they need to be inserted with the tank. They also allow for height adjustment while you slide in the tank.

Btw., this thread is almost 20 years old ...
wacko.gif
Drex
Hello SirAndy

Yes, my Q was about these large rubber bumpers
How are they positioned on the tank while lowering it?
I take it that the groves in the rubber block fit to the
tank's seam on the sides.
My Q is, where to you position them on the tank while installing it?

Hey, it's kinda cool
I resurrected this 20 year old thread!!

Drex
SirAndy
QUOTE(Drex @ May 13 2023, 05:14 PM) *

Hello SirAndy

Yes, my Q was about these large rubber bumpers
How are they positioned on the tank while lowering it?
I take it that the groves in the rubber block fit to the
tank's seam on the sides.
My Q is, where to you position them on the tank while installing it?

Hey, it's kinda cool
I resurrected this 20 year old thread!!

That was my point about height adjustment above, you put them wherever they need to be to get whatever height you want for the tank.
If the tank sits too high and the filler neck hits the hood, raise them. If the tank sits too low and you can't get the top strap to be tight or the bottom of the tank hits your sway bar, lower them.
bye1.gif
Drex
i see
guess i thot that the tank simply rested on those rectangle pads
and that governed the height
and the big blocks prevented side to side motion of the fuel tank
thanks
dave
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 13 2023, 03:01 PM) *

Btw., this thread is almost 20 years old ...
wacko.gif

Damn
SirAndy
QUOTE(Drex @ May 13 2023, 06:12 PM) *

i see
guess i thot that the tank simply rested on those rectangle pads
and that governed the height
and the big blocks prevented side to side motion of the fuel tank
thanks

You can do that but if you have a sway bar, especially a bigger aftermarket one, it might hit the bottom of the tank under compression.
bye1.gif
Drex
i don't have a sway bar
but is it a good idea to put one in?
even if i don't plan on performance driving

Drex
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.