Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie snd intro
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jpk
Hello,

I have to admit I have been lurking for quite a few months.. lol My name is John Paul... I recently purchased a 1973 porsche 914 1.7 as a project to have a fun car that I can do track days , pro solo events and maybe some historic racing. My history is I was raise a Ford guy and have a 64 falcon, 89 mustang lx 5.0 , bronco, 67 bug (daughters car) 78 Trans am(sons car) . The only Porsche I have every owned was a 87 924s nice car but I'm looking for a more pure sports car experience. In my past I have raced and owned a couple Datsun 510s and a Miata that I auto crossed alot. From what I have read and heard I will enjoy my 914. (i have never driven one) So this is blind faith. I am a Family man (house, kids etc) So i bought the car i could afford. It will need alot of work. I have already replaced the starter and the windshield. Im debating on building a big type4 or biting the bullet and buying a 911e 2.0. Im very happy to be here

Thanks
Jpk
jack20
welcome.png
Hard to tell from the picture. Was the car submerged?
ndfrigi
Welcome to 914world John!
BeemerSteve
Hello John Paul!!! welcome.png I'm sure the peeps will chime in soon to give you a welcoming. Where in the PNW are you? I too had fun with English Fords, Minis and other Brit cars before returning to the world of 914"s. Last one I owned was over 30 years ago and enjoyed the crap out of it.
Looks like you're going to have a few questions to ask about your newly acquired Teener and here is the best place to ask as these guys are great and helpful with their knowledge.
wndsnd
Welcome. Look forward to seeing your progress.

welcome.png
Elliot Cannon
welcome.png
rick 918-S
welcome.png
krazykonrad
welcome.png

There are few Porsche questions that someone on this board won't be able to answer. And don't worry about dumb questions, I used those up years ago.

Konrad
914-300Hemi
welcome.png
Coondog
Got your work cut out for you my friend, but hey with a lot of money, time and frustration you will have a 914 to enjoy for years to come.
messix
welcome welcome.png

there are quite a few of us up here in the north pnw.

and vendors to know a restoration design and 914 rubber.

as you my have found while lurking shades.gif
iankarr
Welcome! The addiction only gets stronger....
PanelBilly
Another PNW crazy joins the clan. Welcome to the fun and watch for some Teener Tuesday events
jpk
QUOTE(jack20 @ Jan 10 2016, 05:35 PM) *

welcome.png
Hard to tell from the picture. Was the car submerged?

lol ! not submerged ,but spent a snowy winter with no front window in the great northwet!! Supposedly it was from dry Eastern Washington!!! and ran a year in a half ago.. Yet still to start! beer3.gif
Beeliner
welcome.png
Judging from the second picture you rolled it... av-943.gif
matthepcat
Welcome to the fun. I suggest drying it out and getting it out of the weather.
Blue6
JPK welcome.png , get it up and running for WCR in May. Guaranteed to meet good people, and learn, learn, learn....
LowBridge
welcome.png welcome to the community.. gl and keep us posted on the progress.
Cairo94507
welcome.png Hey it seems like you have the chops for this project. Have fun and come up with a plan and then work the plan.
EdwardBlume

agree.gif
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png
Tom_T
welcome.png John Paul.
You don't happen to have a couple of buddies named George & Ringo!? biggrin.gif
.... it's an old joke with my buddies John Paul & Greg "GR" ("George Ringo") in Pittsburgh PA.

You might consider a 2056 or bigger Type IV flat-4 "built" motor that can be built/tweaked with as much HP as the 911E 2.0L/6 without the extra c-6 conversion parts & without the extra 200+/- lbs of the extra bank of cylinders.

FAT Performance in Orange CA, McMark/Original Customs (member here), & maybe Jake Raby in GA is still doing the bigger than 2056-T4s (??), or a local PNW air-cooled VW/Porsche engine builder, or yourself if so talented & tool equipped.

Otherwise, IMHO the 911E was the more rounded & usable 911 - with more HP thant the T & less finicking than the S in real world traffic, so not a bad choice. But then the PNW crowd & WCR will also pitch the Subie option.

Have Fun! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
whitetwinturbo
Your 914 may handle a bit better than your 64 Falcon blink.gif welcome.png
jpk
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 11 2016, 09:19 AM) *

welcome.png John Paul.
You don't happen to have a couple of buddies named George & Ringo!? biggrin.gif
.... it's an old joke with my buddies John Paul & Greg "GR" ("George Ringo") in Pittsburgh PA.

You might consider a 2056 or bigger Type IV flat-4 "built" motor that can be built/tweaked with as much HP as the 911E 2.0L/6 without the extra c-6 conversion parts & without the extra 200+/- lbs of the extra bank of cylinders.

FAT Performance in Orange CA, McMark/Original Customs (member here), & maybe Jake Raby in GA is still doing the bigger than 2056-T4s (??), or a local PNW air-cooled VW/Porsche engine builder, or yourself if so talented & tool equipped.

Otherwise, IMHO the 911E was the more rounded & usable 911 - with more HP thant the T & less finicking than the S in real world traffic, so not a bad choice. But then the PNW crowd & WCR will also pitch the Subie option.

Have Fun! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks for the advice . the six is a 2.0 out of a 69 911. I thought a long block for $2500 is a good deal.
I thought the six bolts up to the type 4 914 trans axle?

The 1.7 has to be replaced to be able to go to large on the tyor 4 correct?

The car i have has the fuel injection system intact, is it able to be modded to handle the more aggressive cam and displacement?

Sorry for all the questions , Im hoping for like a 13#/ horsepower.. 150hp for 2000# car.

I drive a subie for my sales car... Its fun but I want the pure Porsche experience.
Besides i'm not a fan of chevys in a 32 ford , i think crossing powerplants isn't my thing.

Thanks
Jpk

Below is a few of my toys

a 1965 triumph bobber i build for the horse magazine
and my falcon that i bought in built in high school (and yes handles terrible) lol

mgp4591
Nice looking builds, and a great use for a Road King bezel!
jpk
Thanks!!

You have a great eye!!

here are a few more that you might like.. lol
xmotox
are those honda xr parts
jpk
No its a 1965 triumph tr6sr with some harley fl parts.

The pic below is how it started out flag.gif
76-914
welcome.png
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(jpk @ Jan 11 2016, 09:03 PM) *

It does, but that's the least of the work. You'll need engine tin to fit the 914 chassis, an oil tank and oil lines, a motor mount, an exhaust... And about eleventy zillion things that weren't obvious at first.

You can build any displacement Type IV engine on pretty much any Type IV case. So you could build your 1.7 up to 2056cc if you choose. Though it would be easier to start with a 2.0 motor, because that would already have the 71mm-stroke crank.

The car i have has the fuel injection system intact, is it able to be modded to handle the more aggressive cam and displacement?

Not really. While you can do a fair bit with very fine tweaking of the stock system, it starts running out of adjustment when trying to work with even a modestly aggressive cam. There's always the Megasquirt option, of course, but that can open you up to a whole new world of tweaking and adjusting.

Im hoping for like a 13#/ horsepower.. 150hp for 2000# car.

A solid 150hp is probably not going to be that easy for a 2056cc engine, though of course a lot depends on exactly what you're willing to do to the engine itself, and what compromises you're willing to live with in the name of power. Though you might be surprised at how fast a 914 can feel with just the stock 1.7's 80 HP...

Be aware that going to a Six will add a couple of hundred pounds to the weight of the car. (It'll also produce some of the best engine sounds ever!!)

--DD
J P Stein
The days of converting over to a 6 cylinder for a semi-reasonable cost are over.
The T-4 is a POS and not worth putting money into.
Start looking for a turbo Subie to bolt in there....not easy but worth doing.
Research , and lots of it.
Just my opinion.

mgp4591
QUOTE(jpk @ Jan 11 2016, 10:23 PM) *

Thanks!!

You have a great eye!!

Bitchin' oil tank! You can tell it's British because in the picture it's leaking... lol-2.gif
Amphicar770
When I first saw the pictures I thought, "this poor guy is in so far over his head, he has no idea". After looking at some of the work you have done on other vehicles my thought shifted to, "if anyone can bring this one back, he should be able to". You may be in for some sticker shock on parts prices versus your Ford.

The 914World community is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. It certainly enhances the ownership experience.
aircooledtechguy
Welcome from a semi local up in Anacortes. The PNW has a great bunch of 914 guys and gals. I look forward to meeting you and seeing your car some time.
jpk
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 12 2016, 07:49 AM) *

QUOTE(jpk @ Jan 11 2016, 09:03 PM) *

It does, but that's the least of the work. You'll need engine tin to fit the 914 chassis, an oil tank and oil lines, a motor mount, an exhaust... And about eleventy zillion things that weren't obvious at first.

You can build any displacement Type IV engine on pretty much any Type IV case. So you could build your 1.7 up to 2056cc if you choose. Though it would be easier to start with a 2.0 motor, because that would already have the 71mm-stroke crank.

Not really. While you can do a fair bit with very fine tweaking of the stock system, it starts running out of adjustment when trying to work with even a modestly aggressive cam. There's always the Megasquirt option, of course, but that can open you up to a whole new world of tweaking and adjusting.

Im hoping for like a 13#/ horsepower.. 150hp for 2000# car.

A solid 150hp is probably not going to be that easy for a 2056cc engine, though of course a lot depends on exactly what you're willing to do to the engine itself, and what compromises you're willing to live with in the name of power. Though you might be surprised at how fast a 914 can feel with just the stock 1.7's 80 HP...

Be aware that going to a Six will add a couple of hundred pounds to the weight of the car. (It'll also produce some of the best engine sounds ever!!)

--DD

I really appreciate the advice .

Does the 200# make a huge difference? its what 10% of the body weight popcorn[1].gif .....

I thinking that I should run before I walk.... Get it running and decide what makes sense.

The hotrodder in me has a hard time not souping up something with 80 hp.. lol

The zero to sixty time is 12.4 seconds in the 914 my falcon does the same time in the quarter mile.

What is the down side of the big bore type 4 that you mentioned , keeping in mind i;m hoping for a street driven track toy.

I bought the car for $600 ,so I feel i'm already money ahead.

I'm really looking forward to discovering the car that has so many people excited!
jpk
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Jan 12 2016, 12:15 PM) *

Welcome from a semi local up in Anacortes. The PNW has a great bunch of 914 guys and gals. I look forward to meeting you and seeing your car some time.

. I hoping to have it up and running by the end of feb,
I'm thinking that a run up Chuckernault drive would be fun .
BeemerSteve

Yeah....one that needs his megasquirt injection worked on Nate! driving.gif
jpk
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Jan 12 2016, 11:54 AM) *

When I first saw the pictures I thought, "this poor guy is in so far over his head, he has no idea". After looking at some of the work you have done on other vehicles my thought shifted to, "if anyone can bring this one back, he should be able to". You may be in for some sticker shock on parts prices versus your Ford.

The 914World community is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. It certainly enhances the ownership experience.

I appreciate the vote of confidence..... This is uncharted waters..

I am restoring my daughters bug this winter first. Hopefully i'll get my German motor skills rolling.

I have already experienced some of the sticker shock with a $200 dollar starter and a a very expensive used windshield for another $200 .

Seeing I bought the car for $600 , I'm seeing the expensive trend...

One question why is the strokers kits so much more for type4 over a type1??

BeemerSteve
QUOTE(jpk @ Jan 12 2016, 06:09 PM) *

. I hoping to have it up and running by the end of feb,
I'm thinking that a run up Chuckernault drive would be fun .

By the way....Chuckanut Drive is my backyard so when you sort yours out give me a shout. There are tons other twisty roads up here that can be driven as well.
jpk
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jan 12 2016, 11:25 AM) *

QUOTE(jpk @ Jan 11 2016, 10:23 PM) *

Thanks!!

You have a great eye!!

Bitchin' oil tank! You can tell it's British because in the picture it's leaking... lol-2.gif

It was actually gas , the fuel lines popped off and dumped gas all over a hot engine and exhaust. On the shake down run!!!

I'm lucky to be alive!! lol smilie_pokal.gif
steuspeed
If it has one clean chrome bumper, that's worth $600 right there. Parts prices have gone up quite a bit the last 5 years. Plan on spending lots of money at 914rubber. The handling will not disappoint.
mountainroads
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Jan 12 2016, 09:55 PM) *

Parts prices have gone up quite a bit the last 5 years. Plan on spending lots of money at 914rubber. The handling will not disappoint.

Although I empathize and regret rising parts prices myself, be glad you aren't looking for early 911 parts. I sold my still shiny, original paint '71-E time capsule last year because I was getting paranoid about driving it. Which defeats the purpose of ownership, IMO.

I'm in way-deep on my 914 resto too, but I fully intend to enjoy driving the car when done.

- MR
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(jpk @ Jan 12 2016, 06:01 PM) *
What is the down side of the big bore type 4 that you mentioned , keeping in mind i;m hoping for a street driven track toy.

Depends on how big a bore. The 2056cc has very little downside, from what I can tell. Prices are still about as reasonable as they get, you use mostly stock hard parts, and so on. With the right cam, drivability can be good and power good as well.

If you're looking for big power, you need to move a lot of air. The intake and exhaust can be dealt with, but the heads will start to limit you. And modifying them can get pretty expensive, especially if you're interested in high quality work that will last a while. If you sit down before looking at the prices, the LN heads can work pretty well--plus they are all-new head castings, which haven't been heat cycled a zillion times already.

Real race motors have lifespans measured in hours. They also make power at high RPMs, and aren't very tractable for the street. They tend to be built for specific classes, as well, and have lots of external constraints because of that.

I'm just about at the end of the stuff I know with the generalisms I list here. There are people on the BBS who know more and build high-powered Type IV motors. Most of them do it for a living and (reasonably!) expect to get paid for their knowledge, though.

--DD
jpk
thanks for your help
jpk
So i decide took better pics today!!!!!

Some are a bit scary !! how bad is this hell hole???

WTF.gif
mark04usa
QUOTE(jpk @ Jan 23 2016, 12:00 AM) *

So i decide took better pics today!!!!!

Some are a bit scary !! how bad is this hell hole???

WTF.gif

Most of that will buff out... blink.gif

Seriously, there are folks here who have repaired similar "wear and tear"... parts and help and encouragment are available beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.