Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: turn signal lights on dash question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rosenfe
on 73,suddenly both signal lights on dash are on with clicking from relay when no turn signal is selected.when i signal left or right clicking goes away and only side ive chosen shows on dash.signal lights on body all work. is this a bad relay ,i recently replaced it.could it be related to low pressure switch on brake master cylinder needing to be reset?
Dave_Darling
Usually the brake warning light is in the combo gauge. Try resetting the master cylinder switch to see if the blinking stops--and check that the bottom of the handbrake handle presses on the "brake off" button underneath it as well!

I'm not sure if the relay can go bad in a way that will make the indicators blink when something else should be blinking. I would be more inclined to suspect wires plugged into the wrong things than the relay, but I must admit that the flasher relay isn't something I understand that well.

--DD
Spoke
This is interesting. See the schematic below. There are only 2 ways to flash the dash indicators. One is by activating the hazard or by the steering wheel stalk. This provides a current path from 12V through the flasher then through the hazard or turnsignal stalk.

The second way is by the flasher relay activating the K lead but the K lead should only be active when significant current flows in the exterior turnsignal bulbs. The small current of the brake warning lights should not activate the 2nd relay in the flasher to flash the dash indicators.

Questions:
1) Why did you change the flasher relay?
2) Where did you purchase the new flasher relay?
3) What is the part number of the new flasher relay?

rosenfe
i originally changed flasher relay because turn signals did not work and only gave a no flashing steady l+r light on dash .this is about 3 months ago.i got new relAY from parts heaven here in emeryville ,ca..when new flasher installed signal lights worked and displayed correctly on dash indicator. for the last few weeks i had been hearing a noise that i now know was the flasher relay buzzing,now clicking and yesterday i got a constant steady l+r light on dash,though l+r flashers work on car.i do not know part #,will have to get under there and look
rosenfe
MY BATTERY ALSO WAS DRAINED THIS MORNING,NOT SURE IF ITS RELATED
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.