Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: seam sealer around floopans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
Hi Guys,

I have the tar up and the pans look good. Just a little surface rust around the edges. I've been using the heat gun / putty knife / wire wheel technique to remove the seam sealer and I'm about halfway through. I haven't found any rust at all under there and am wondering if I shouldn't just leave the seam sealer in place on the other half of the floorpan.

Or...should I remove all? Should I reapply new seam sealer before ospho and primer...or just leave the seams bare?
cary
IMO. OSPHO, epoxy primer, then seam sealer. Seam sealer is the weak link. After that I'll spray on 2k primer to start the paint process.
iankarr
Thanks. Do you recommend removing the existing seam sealer? Seems to be intact and the metal below is perfect.
cary
To be honest. I am in some spots. Not in others. (total car restoration)
Passenger compartment floor, yes. Back panel to rear trunk, yes.
Tire well of front trunk, yes.
Then it depends on what the seam sealer edges look like. Then the angle, could water collect there?
r_towle
Remove all of it, you may eventually regret it if you don't do it now.;4
r_towle
Remove all of it, you may eventually regret it if you don't do it now.;4
Andyrew
Your in a rainy area. I would remove all of it. I have seen many California cars start to rust under the seam sealer.

But the process for reapplication is exactly like Cary says. Good primer (Or high zinc primer if you have it), sealer, then prime again with your 2k or whatever your going to use prior to paint.
iankarr
Thanks, fellas!
whitetwinturbo
..............so this is the vent confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Jan 12 2016, 09:05 AM) *

..............so this is the vent confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

I thought we were talking about seam sealer around floor pans?
whitetwinturbo
..........yup, got a bit sidetracked on an earlier hijack of the thread
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.