Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Help Finding a 1975 Volvo 240 or 245
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
DBCooper
I know this isn't a 914 request, but I'm kind of stuck so could use some help. I'd like to find a California smog-exempt Volvo 240, which means a 1975 model, coupe, sedan or wagon. That was the year the 240's were introduced so there aren't many, and cars that aren't totally rusted out don't seem to be very common. If you're cruising the ads here it means you probably also look other places for old cars and car parts, so if you ever run across a 1975 Volvo 240 could you give me a heads-up? Greatly appreciated. Oh, and maybe most important, I have cash.

Thanks.
SHREK914
Those are awesome cars. I always seem to find them in Oregon. Look at Craigslist in the Portland Oregon area, I believe I saw a few on there for sale very recently. Good luck
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(SHREK914 @ Jan 11 2016, 02:48 PM) *

Those are awesome cars. I always seem to find them in Oregon. Look at Craigslist in the Portland Oregon area, I believe I saw a few on there for sale very recently. Good luck

Where I live they're all over the place in fact I own a 1986 245 with over 275k miles and still not burning any oil. Here in the PNW it seems that this is a mecca for them.
So, Seattle, Portland and even up here near the BC border in Bellingham would be the places to look.
Good luck!!!! I will keep an eye out for one for you up here.
matthepcat
That's going to be a hard car to find. None for sale on "all craigslist", Ebay, Classic trader, auto trader or any of the common volvo forums.

BeemerSteve
QUOTE(BeemerSteve @ Jan 11 2016, 04:45 PM) *

QUOTE(SHREK914 @ Jan 11 2016, 02:48 PM) *

Where I live they're all over the place in fact I own a 1986 245 with over 275k miles and still not burning any oil. Here in the PNW it seems that this is a mecca for them.
So, Seattle, Portland and even up here near the BC border in Bellingham would be the places to look.

Forgot, also try over the border in Canada but be aware that they do salt up there and not where I live in WA. It's extremely easy to bring one over the border if it's over 25 years old.
Most owners that keep them take pretty good care of them.
DBCooper
QUOTE(BeemerSteve @ Jan 11 2016, 04:45 PM) *

Super, I appreciate it.

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jan 11 2016, 04:46 PM) *

That's going to be a hard car to find. None for sale on "all craigslist", Ebay, Classic trader, auto trader or any of the common volvo forums.

Yeah, I've been looking for a while. It's the 1975 part that's difficult, just that one year, then one that's not already too rusty for me to deal with. The mechanical stuff is fine, but rust makes a car disappear. You can't fix something that's disappeared so you need to re-create, and I'm not real good at that.

Thanks, all. Don't go out of your way, but if you happen to run across one please let me know.

matthepcat
Are you planning an LS swap or modern turbo motor?
DBCooper
Wow, that's extraordinary. Interior's a little loud, but if it were in the U.S., anywhere in the U.S., I'd be buying an airplane ticket right now.

Mueller
Jack over on TB told me on Sunday that he knows someone with 4 or 5 '75 240's not sure if wagons or sedans.
v82go
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221990516955?rmvSB=true

also on bat

Bob
DBCooper
Wow, way too nice for me. Plus I need a '75.
matthepcat
Here is a sweet Volvo. Would be a great option for your project: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/5405111483.html

DBCooper
You're right, that's a really nice car, problem is that they changed the engine bay for the 240's, giving them more room. I personally prefer the look of the 140's, but I need a 240 for what I want to do. And only one year 240, the '75, is smog exempt. I'm patient (when I don't have any other choice) I'll find one.

Thanks Matt.

BeemerSteve
You might try Ipdusa.com as they have a classified section that covers all models and years plus a good source of parts too.
garrettlee2
I have a 242 and it needs more power. What engine swap are you planning? I still haven't decided between v8 Chevy and turbo Volvo.
DBCooper
Engine swap? I don't think it was ME who said that. What barbarian would screw up a fine classic car with an engine swap? [PM me]

Don't forget when you're poking around that barn for the rumored 250 GTO that there's someone interested in one of those 1975 Volvos that always seem to be getting into in your way.

rhodyguy
The lack of the my and model you're looking for is surprising. I looked on CL locally and nada. You would think there would be plenty of them out there. Good luck on your hunt.
DBCooper
Got one, and it's a unicorn, too. Thanks all.

Click to view attachment
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Feb 5 2016, 12:16 PM) *

Got one, and it's a unicorn, too. Thanks all.

Click to view attachment

After all that....post some pictures! shades.gif
DBCooper
Photos? Sure. Last registered in 1989, 96K miles, no rust in any of the common areas, a crack in the dash, a whiskey bump on the left rear fender but other than that in great shape. Well, except for not running for 25 years. Imagine how a mild LSx engine, modern transmission and athletic suspension would transform this old girl. From the louvers you can tell she already wants to be fast and naughty.
matthepcat
smilie_pokal.gif

Nice find! Saw one at breakfast the other day with a modern turbo Volvo motor rocking a straight pipe. Sounded like a monster.lowered down with nice wheels looks awesome.
Mueller
Cngrats.....

Luckily my '78 is smog exempt smile.gif
Blue6
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 5 2016, 08:25 PM) *

Cngrats.....

How? idea.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(Blue6 @ Feb 5 2016, 11:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 5 2016, 08:25 PM) *

Cngrats.....

How? idea.gif

Diesel maybe? They are exempt beyond '75 in CA I think.

Nice score DB! I want to do the same thing. In Illinois it just has to be 25 years old to be exempt. Hard to find a 2 door around here.
achman_73_2.0
Not exactly what you are looking for, but smog exempt:

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-volvo-144/
DBCooper
QUOTE(achman_73_2.0 @ Feb 28 2016, 02:08 PM) *

Not exactly what you are looking for, but smog exempt:

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-volvo-144/

Nice. I actually like the looks of 140's better than the 240's too, but the big difference is the front suspension and much wider engine bay of the 240's. For the sacrilege we have planned we need that extra space up front.

matthepcat
sacrilege = making it better and faster
DBCooper
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Feb 29 2016, 12:03 PM) *

sacrilege = making it better and faster

sacrilege = giving the old girl some balls

Chris H.
The 242 DL is pretty fast. This one is stock, right? biggrin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDdAbnyrblA

Look at how the speed builds at the end....it's like a rocket. Wait for the trap speed...it's km/h but still...138mph from a weak start!

I envy your plan Paul. I know you're not going for that much power but I just love the idea of and old Volvo with an LS engine. They make a fair amount of suspension stuff that will help with the handling too.
DBCooper
Yeah, horsepower corrects a lot of failings, doesn't it? Even makes a homely old Swedish box look kind of sexy, in a fast-women kind of way. The car is really for my son, a family car with a back seat that the 914 doesn't have.

DBCooper
And the old girl now has some balls. Who was it that preached "slow but steady"? Screw that, it's stupid. Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMtouiIFY70

matthepcat
Awesome Paul, that 6.0 is going to rock.

Hope you keep the sweet rear window louvers.
jd74914
More pictures please!!
Ferg
So cool! Nice job!

driving.gif
914forme
drooley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.