Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what a pile!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson

That strange texture/undercoating on the front inner fenders is HIDEOUS! This car should be crushed!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-Targa-...em=361465810543

-Steve
Series9
beerchug.gif Good one!
garrettlee2
is that your old car Joe Sharp?
SirAndy
Nice car, too bad they screwed up the repaint.

At $100k+, i'd expect more attention to detail when the car was restored.
dry.gif
Series9
That car appears to be gorgeous. From what I can see, the attention to detail is top notch.

Call me crazy, but I prefer my 914s without random paint-brushed tar on the strut bearings. happy11.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jan 11 2016, 05:59 PM) *
That car appears to be gorgeous. From what I can see, the attention to detail is top notch.
Call me crazy, but I prefer my 914s without random paint-brushed tar on the strut bearings. happy11.gif

You crazy! biggrin.gif

However, it's not just the strut towers. They also didn't add black paint under the engine lid mesh and side cover mesh.
dry.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 11 2016, 06:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Series9 @ Jan 11 2016, 05:59 PM) *

You crazy! biggrin.gif

However, it's not just the strut towers. They also didn't add black paint under the engine lid mesh and side cover mesh.
dry.gif

Somebody's becoming a CW in their old age!!!! lol-2.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(RobW @ Jan 11 2016, 06:13 PM) *
Somebody's becoming a CW in their old age!!!! lol-2.gif

If i were to fork out north of 100k for a 914 it better be triple CW proof!
FERG.gif
Cairo94507
Well hell, I love the car but would not have done the texture in the inner compartments. I too will not be adding the black tar to the strut tops in the front trunk.

Restoring these cars is not cheap and if it sells at $105,000 that is a fair price given the condition of the car, assuming all the rest of the car is as pristine as what we see here. I say pay the $105K+ and you can drive it tomorrow.

My Six, come May 12th, will have been out of my garage for 4 years. I am just hoping I will still be able to get in and drive it when it comes home. My clock is ticking if you know what I mean.
Mike Fitton
Anyone see the COA it lists a "Safety Steering Wheel- Leather" as an option. Anyone know what this is?
GeorgeRud
I think it just meant a leather steering wheel, no others were offered on the 914-6s.
pete000
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 11 2016, 05:47 PM) *

Nice car, too bad they screwed up the repaint.

At $100k+, i'd expect more attention to detail when the car was restored.
dry.gif

agree.gif

Take it that far and not quite get it perfect...
914-6-GT
I clicked on the link expecting to see a piece of junk.

Not a bad looking car. $105k though? Might be a tad too expensive for that one.

Hell my real 914-6 racer cost over $150,000 to build it recently sold for 1/2 that on fleabay.

Now I'm looking to buy it back so I can have fun with it now that my son is older.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(914-6-GT @ Jan 11 2016, 10:35 PM) *

Have you met us? We're 914world, a bunch of sarcastic bastages...

That said, the car in the ad is really nice, but not as original-looking as I think one priced like that should be. Looks like several others here share my opinion.

--DD
914-6-GT
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 12 2016, 09:58 AM) *

QUOTE(914-6-GT @ Jan 11 2016, 10:35 PM) *

Have you met us? We're 914world, a bunch of sarcastic bastages...

That said, the car in the ad is really nice, but not as original-looking as I think one priced like that should be. Looks like several others here share my opinion.

--DD

Oh yeah I you guys. I was on here before many many years ago posting like a drunken whore. drunk.gif I know the drill. It's been so long I forgot my user name which was along the lines of this one. Screw it I made up a new one.

By the way go look at my post and see if you can help me locate my old car. I'd really like to have it back so I can post like in the old days. beerchug.gif
iwanta914-6
When I win the lottery tomorrow, I'll buy it along with every other Sixer I can find for sale. beerchug.gif

Martin Baker
This is a great car, but lately I have seen two different "HIGH END" restorations, this the second where the area on the engine lid below the screen, and left and right end sections are not painted black before the grill is re-attached. The PORSCHE letters are also incorrectly placed. Little detail can really make the difference in the final product, when the asking prices are in this range... I am not sure how one would think that area was NOT supposed to be black when they are doing reassembly. Also painted black is the area for the adjusters, where the lid rests when closed. Details make the difference if you really expect to reach these new, here to stay 914/6 prices.
whitetwinturbo
mad.gif ......saw some dust .........CRUSH that blue POS wacko.gif
Mikey914
I'd bet if you paid the $105k he'd fix the issues. Looks like some minor oversights buy a non 914 guy doing the resto.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 12 2016, 11:48 AM) *

I'd bet if you paid the $105k he'd fix the issues. Looks like some minor oversights buy a non 914 guy doing the resto.

Unfortunately the fix is removing the engine and stripping all the inner panels of the texture then repainting. Not a simple fix. Do-able but not easy. Over restored and now over priced in MHO. But hey, I hope he gets it.
r_towle
When I eventually buy a six I will convince about 6 people here to do a ppi for me.
You guys know every detail, too many for me to remember
siverson
Ha - I'm surprised this thread got so much attention.

For the record, I think this car looks great and $105k is probably about right based on other sales I've seen. That texture is not as easy of fix as many of the other small things though.

-Steve
Larmo63
I could learn to love and live with this car. My favorite model and color.
fixer34
Interesting that he came down $20k in less than 2 weeks, still a nice car.

While I'm thinking about it, when did the canister on the fuel tank start? Mine is a March '70 date, less than 400 earlier than this one and it never had a canister.
Was this a west coast/California-only requirement early on?
QUOTE(siverson @ Jan 12 2016, 01:13 PM) *

Ha - I'm surprised this thread got so much attention.

For the record, I think this car looks great and $105k is probably about right based on other sales I've seen. That texture is not as easy of fix as many of the other small things though.

-Steve

I sense another - 6 headed your way. biggrin.gif
johnhora
When I win the Power Ball tomorrow....
I'll buy it and maybe fix all of those "issues"
No I'll just drive like I own it....flat out!
biggrin.gif
lostreasure
Great looking 6 well detailed-Seller has integrity and car will sell
bretth
The letter spacing on the engine lid really bugs me. Seems like they just didn't care. Probably a non Porsche fluent shop did the work. $100k+? clown2.gif
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(bretth @ Jan 13 2016, 05:51 AM) *

The letter spacing on the engine lid really bugs me. Seems like they just didn't care. Probably a non Porsche fluent shop did the work. $100k+? clown2.gif

+1, same with the front hood badge (not even an early orange one). I understand back in the day the front hood badge was added to a lot of these cars, but a full resto with repaint why re-install. Still very nice car and I think he will get close to his asking price IMO.
Larmo63
agree.gif

That is what I was thinking.

They were so close, yet…...
I bought some restored door stops from Sgrisanti the seller of the Six,The attention of detail was amazing..Maybe his Six is not perfect.. But it is really nice..
two914-6s
This guy has great taste in cars if you ask me. Love the colors and models he chooses.

Looks good to me……… the thing about these cars is. I spent years getting an early 6 running that hadn't been driven in a decade. I'm embarrassed to say what I spent on the mechanicals; parts add up fast.And I have to pay for labor too. I'm not as talented as the rest of you guys with my tools. Even if you have a shop I think you'll be hard press to restore a 914-6 for less then 50K in parts labor and overhead:To do a first rate job. If you honestly add up your expenses. Add the price of the car. I don't know how anyone can do it professionally today without charging that much. My dad bought soda for a nickel , wish I could too. P.S. I hate the hood badge.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Jan 12 2016, 07:58 PM) *

Interesting that he came down $20k in less than 2 weeks, still a nice car.

While I'm thinking about it, when did the canister on the fuel tank start? Mine is a March '70 date, less than 400 earlier than this one and it never had a canister.
Was this a west coast/California-only requirement early on?

I have two cars, both '70
West coast delivery car has canister and plastic plumbing.
East coast car no canister or plumbing.
Certainly not the last word on the subject but does seem plausible.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.