Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bra Identification
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
I jumped the gun and bought a protective bra off of eBay without really looking at the description photos. Apparently it is not for a '74 model year as the holes in the front do not line up with the tit protrusions on my car ( I know, I've already anticipated the lame comments that are sure to follow). So can somebody tell from the pics if this is for an early, middle, or late car? I want to put it in the classifieds but don't know how to describe it. Thanks.

AnsbacherClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Mark Henry
You will find most here hate bras, the only exception would be for flat or dolly towing.
Fitting like shit is about the norm, but if it's for a big bumper you're SOL
Some use clear bra style protection.

We all call them tits, only the childish will make fun about it dry.gif

unsure.gif
(o)(o)

huh.gif
IPB Image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC2teMi1nZg
toolguy
Hard to see but it looks like rectangle holes for fog lights, if they are located where the front of the big ugly bumper is this would make it 75-75,
Cal
Looks like the cut-outs are for a '75 - '76

Elliot Cannon
Porsche first announced the use of a "bra" on new just-off-the-assembly-line cars for protection during a short test drive so they wouldn't get dinged up. I don't think they were ever meant to be used for a long period of time. It's more of a fad than actual long term protection. biggrin.gif The clear bras offer better protection and are almost undetectable. Any way, I have always enjoyed the "braless" look. drooley.gif smoke.gif
JmuRiz
I thought this was going to be a Joe Bob thread biggrin.gif

Anyhoo...I'd do like the others say and just do a clear bra if anything. Vinyl bras will only scratch pain and/or make a fade-line if you use it all the time.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jan 12 2016, 11:48 AM) *

I thought this was going to be a Joe Bob thread biggrin.gif

Anyhoo...I'd do like the others say and just do a clear bra if anything. Vinyl bras will only scratch pain and/or make a fade-line if you use it all the time.

Too intellectual a thread for Joe Bob. av-943.gif
r_towle
That type of bra traps dirt and causes scratched paint as a result.
jsaum
Plus if you're like me you can never figure out how the damn clip works to undo the strap!
Ansbacher
Thanks Cal for confirming that it is for a late car. Now, as for the anti-bra contingent - I have used bras in the past on a 914, 924, 924S, and a 356 and have never faded or scratched my paint. I only use them on longer high-speed trips and remove them immediately on arrival at my destination. If bras were that detrimental to auto finishes even when used properly, there would not be a whole industry out there manufacturing and retailing them. A lot of individuals denigrate them without ever having owned one, used one, or used one properly.

Ansbacher
Larmo63
If they get wet, it's not good for your car's paint.

I like to keep it bra-less…...Click to view attachment
KELTY360
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jan 12 2016, 02:13 PM) *

If they get wet, it's not good for your car's paint.

unlike…...Click to view attachment

Now that's some solid information.

But I notice she's not wearing a bra either. cheer.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Jan 12 2016, 04:53 PM) *

Thanks Cal for confirming that it is for a late car. Now, as for the anti-bra contingent - I have used bras in the past on a 914, 924, 924S, and a 356 and have never faded or scratched my paint. I only use them on longer high-speed trips and remove them immediately on arrival at my destination. If bras were that detrimental to auto finishes even when used properly, there would not be a whole industry out there manufacturing and retailing them. A lot of individuals denigrate them without ever having owned one, used one, or used one properly.

Ansbacher

If you are willing to keep it clean, I would not argue that is might be fine.

Most people who use a bra leave it on far too long and it does scratch the paint because of vibration from the winds and dirt that is trapped underneath.

The fact that you remove it after each trip is what saves you.
Cal
I agree.....it should be removed after each use. I looked at '72 that was for sale recently that had a bra installed for most of its life. The paint underneath was loaded with tiny swirls and scratches along with water spots that would never come out.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(jsaum @ Jan 12 2016, 01:06 PM) *

Plus if you're like me you can never figure out how the damn clip works to undo the strap!

Practice, practice, practice. laugh.gif smoke.gif
walterolin
If there is a center compartment, this might belong to Eccentrica Gallumbits.....
McMark
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Jan 12 2016, 02:53 PM) *
If bras were that detrimental to auto finishes even when used properly, there would not be a whole industry out there manufacturing and retailing them.

You don't seriously believe that do you? av-943.gif

Surprise! Companies and industries exist out there that produce crap. Just off the top of my head... you may have heard of McDonalds. If they made crap hamburgers they would have gone out of business right?!
bretth
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 12 2016, 12:39 PM) *

You will find most here hate bras, the only exception would be for flat or dolly towing.
Fitting like shit is about the norm, but if it's for a big bumper you're SOL
Some use clear bra style protection.

We all call them tits, only the childish will make fun about it dry.gif

I always thought of them as fangs or horns. Seemed more bad ass that way.

Brett
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.