Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch cable thread pitch/size?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomrev
A recent post was asking about where to get the nut for the clutch cable. I have had trouble in the past finding one at the hardware store; seems to measure 7mm, which is an odd size not found at local store's. To find out what size it is means pulling it off the cable, and going hunting. Would anyone know the size, so I can find some without crawling under the car, and pulling it off? Thanks!
Mikey914
Got them in stock. Just not on the site.
Drop me a PM with an address and I'll get some out. I use 2 to tighten against each other.
tomrev
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 12 2016, 10:37 AM) *

Got them in stock. Just not on the site.
Drop me a PM with an address and I'll get some out. I use 2 to tighten against each other.

PM sent, thanks
ClayPerrine
The nut is a 7x1.0

Get a nylock one so your clutch doesn't readjust itself randomly.
tomrev
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 12 2016, 02:56 PM) *

The nut is a 7x1.0

Thanks Clay; I do have the nylock, but want to add a spring, to keep the throw out bearing off the clutch plate, and will use the second nut for attaching things. Good to know the size.
Mikey914

The nut is a 7x1.0

You do not want nylock. it will get soft with heat and start pilling through. Tis happened to me at WCR in the Gorge and I pretty much lost the clutch. Locking two nuts across themselves is the best option.
PS sent them out today.
tomrev
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 12 2016, 10:17 PM) *

The nut is a 7x1.0

You do not want nylock. it will get soft with heat and start pilling through. Tis happened to me at WCR in the Gorge and I pretty much lost the clutch. Locking two nuts across themselves is the best option.
PS sent them out today.

Thanks again Mark!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 13 2016, 12:17 AM) *

The nut is a 7x1.0

PS sent them out today.

That's funny....

I have been running nylock nuts on my clutch cables for close to 30 years in the Texas summer heat, and I never had any of them get so hot that they melted the nylon out of the center.

Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 12 2016, 10:17 PM) *
You do not want nylock. it will get soft with heat and start pilling through.

agree.gif I've had the same thing happen. Nyloc is not good enough for this application.

--DD
ClayPerrine
You guys are buying crappy nylock nuts.

Mikey914
Apparently I can't tell the difference so I'll just use 2 standard ones tightened against each other. Same net effect. I also will have these listed later tonight. We also ship reg mail.
Mark
Mikey914
Put my NUTS up for sale, which nuts

DEEZ NUTS

http://www.shop.914rubber.com/7mm-Nut-for-...able-1-7mm1.htm
Can ship reg mail to save you a few bucks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.