Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pics of the 1.7 I pulled out of my '71
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rhodes71/914
This is the engine that I took out of my car to make way for the 2.0. It's just been sitting in the corner of my garage but I just had to start breaking it down. I plan on using it as a back up to the 2.0.

I'm not sure what I am going to do to it, just clean it up or split the case, anything in between. I'm open to suggestions.

All the FI is intact so I'll prolly just keep that.

Here are a few photos of the breakdown.

Bunch of crud on cylinder 3, prolly didn't help an already warmer #3

Rhodes71/914
I was under the impression that all US cars came with dished pistons. This engine has domed.
Rhodes71/914
P/C #4.
This head was leaking a little
rhodyguy
do you think it is the original engine to the car? i know a couple of people who are holding on to them. "just" to have the "original" case.

k
Rhodes71/914
Pully on the fan, A/C? or from a smog car? not sure what it's doing on this engine.
4 or 5 broken fins so I'll be looking for a new fan anyway.
TravisNeff
AC pulley goes behind the fan. I don't know what that thingy is for??
rhodyguy
a good used case is not a bad thing to have in the stash. would you have to ship it to alaska? that piece looks pretty sout and balanced. could it drive a small supercharger?

k
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 17 2005, 10:26 AM)
do you think it is the original engine to the car? i know a couple of people who are holding on to them. "just" to have the "original" case.

k

Case # is W0070322 seems like a low number and it possibly could be the orig engine. I only know a little history of the car but one of the previous owners said it was rebuilt at some point. Never said anything about a different case.

On another note - the flap for the oil cooler was unhooked from the arm that is supposed to hold it open so who knows how long the oil cooler went without getting proper cooling air.
bd1308
Pully on the fan
dunno what that is but it's nifty...if you dont need it biggrin.gif i'll take it off your hands
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 17 2005, 10:30 AM)
a good used case is not a bad thing to have in the stash. would you have to ship it to alaska? that piece looks pretty sout and balanced. could it drive a small supercharger?

k

It will just get moved with everything else in the container or moving van, whenever are house sells.
Joe Ricard
Early 1.7's have domed pistons thats how they 80 HP out of them.
That is nearly identical to my engine when I took it out. I cleaned it up lapped the heads bumped the compression some more and ran the piss out of it. Now I got the 2.0L in the car and can run the piss out of it faster mueba.gif
type47
i bet that piece off the fan is to run a smog pump. looks similar to a part someone was searching for recently. but i can't figure out why it would be on a 1.7 since 1.7's were 70-73 and 75-76's were smogged. it's not a CA engine is it?
Dave_Darling
The CA 1.7s did not have smog pumps. The pulley looks similar to, but different from, the smog pump pullies that I have seen. Mounts in the same place, more or less, but looks rather different.

No clue what it's for.

Keep the motor or sell it on the Samba or Shoptalk forums. Like we've been saying to the other guy with the "spare" 1.7 motor.

--DD
lapuwali
QUOTE (type47 @ Mar 17 2005, 01:05 PM)
i bet that piece off the fan is to run a smog pump. looks similar to a part someone was searching for recently. but i can't figure out why it would be on a 1.7 since 1.7's were 70-73 and 75-76's were smogged. it's not a CA engine is it?

Not even California 1.7s had a smog pump on them. That might be a later pulley on an earlier engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.