Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New way to stretch flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John Kelly
I have come up with an improved method for stretching sheet metal. In my first video I use a palm nailer with a carriage bolt in it for stretching really fast which leaves lumps that must then be hammered out. The new technique will be in my next video, but I thought I should share it now so here goes...

Leaving the carriage bolt in the palm nailer, I made a hammer head from flat bar and a short piece of tubing. The flatbar has been ground, filed and sanded to a compound shape. I wrapped some electrical tape around the sleeve of the palm nailer to tighten up the fit a little. It is nice to have a little wobble in the fit, just not too much.

Then I held a piece of steel over the shot dolly, and stretched down into it. The pictures show the tool and the sheet metal. You can see that there is a pretty smooth lump. This took about a minute to do, and will require very little work to be perfect. I will be using this method with a slight variation in my next video. I will hold the shot dolly on the outside of the fender flare, and use the palm nailer from inside instead. I'm excited about this development...it should make the work faster and easier...although no less noisy.

You can also use the palm nailer from the outside, and hold a dolly on the inside for smoothing purposes...a little tricky.

For those unfamiliar with the tools:

http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/comm...d=9980138836765

Pictures attached.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
John Kelly
another
John Kelly
The air regulator on the palm nailer is a very good idea. You can control how much stretch you get with it.
rhodyguy
cool john. great addition to the line up. i can see how that would save lots of time. does it eliminate some of the c-clamp pulling too? the hammer and shot bag was a bit of work.

k
John Kelly
Hi Kevin,

Thanks, the smoothing clamp was kind of a toss-in idea...not really required, but something to try out. It does make the metal a little more polished and smooth. This new technique will reduce hammer and dolly time considerably.

TravisNeff
The palm nailer I got from HF came with a hammer head attachment, would it be reasonable to grind a beveled profile on it and use that?

I have to take mine back, broke it after a couple hours use.
rhodyguy
use the carrige bolt method. are you going to sell those fancy things? the craftsman palm nailer is a good one.

k
neo914-6
John,

I've been eyeing a compressor at my local FLAPS. How much flow and pressure is needed? The chart tells me it's not recommended for sanders/body work.

I apologize if you spec'd it in your DVD. confused24.gif I do have it on my "to do" list.
lapuwali
For anything that runs for lengthy periods of time, like grinding and cutting, you need a pretty sizable tank, or a compressor that pumps FAST. One of the usual Home Depot or Harbor Frieght specials will NOT be adequate for these tasks.
neo914-6
James, I need CFM @ PSI specs! screwy.gif
John Kelly
Hi Felix,

Sorry I don't know what the specs are on my compressor...just that it is pretty big for a home unit....just one cylinder though. If your compressor won't work for sanders, it won't do this either.

Travis, I use a Senco from Home Depot...has held up so far.

Kevin, I answered your PM...not sure if it went through though?

lapuwali
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Mar 17 2005, 12:03 PM)
James, I need CFM @ PSI specs! screwy.gif

Look at the tools you want to use, they should have flow specs on them. A typical air sander requires about 9cfm at 90 psi, but some require 12cfm, and I've seen some down around 8cfm. I have no idea what John's tool requires (and it sounds like John doesn't know, either), but any tool store should be able to provide that data for you.
J P Stein
Hay John, whatcha doing this weekend? Look at my "pisser"
thread. I may need professional help. biggrin.gif
John Kelly
Hi JP,

Saw your thread..that sucks! I don't think my methods will work with the dreaded fiberglass. You'll get it figured out! Maybe you need one of those paintless flare repair folks to come by?

Andyrew
He don have fiberglass front fenders...

John, I'm getting my fronts done this week my right one is almost done!!!

I think I'll make one of those things you have right now and try it out...

Andrew

ps, palm nailer with a bolt that has the head rounded off werks really well for stretching.

smash.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE (John Kelly @ Mar 17 2005, 02:13 PM)
Hi JP,

Saw your thread..that sucks! I don't think my methods will work with the dreaded fiberglass. You'll get it figured out! Maybe you need one of those paintless flare repair folks to come by?

John:
The front fenders are metal. I wasn't foolin' around. You can make some bucks for some quickey flares....just enuff so's I can:
a) get the tires on
cool.gif finish them off with Bondo

I'm hurting for time.
John Kelly
Hi JP,

I answered your email. Let me know.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.