Full Version: spiral piston pin rings suck
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
they suck a lot. mad.gif
phantom914
So tell us the story. huh.gif

Andrew
Jake Raby
Nope.. You just have to get used to them.. They do their job VERY well and thats the main thing. A small flat blade screwdriver and dental pick are your best friends.

Wait till you have to remove them....

My 3 liter has TRIPLE spiral locks...
nebreitling
i'm figuring them out now. got to do a little pre-stretch it seems to spiral them in.

i can't imagine what a PITA it would be to take out those triple spirals!!

i can certainly see why they'd do their job so well.
MattR
Im just curious, how do you remove them? Do you have to destroy them? When I was putting them in I was thinking "these are permanent, dont fuck up matt"
Demick
Once you get the hang of them they install very easy. Yes, you stretch them out first and use a jewelers screwdriver to put them in.

I did have to remove the cylinders on one side after I installed the spiral rings. Boy, getting them out is VERY difficult!! I think it took me a full hour (and a lot of cursing and sweating) to get out those two spiral rings.

I don't envy the person who disassembles my engine or any other engine with these retainers (hopefully it will not be me!)

Demick
muddboy
There really is a trick to it.... I end up assembling 3 or 4 V'8's a week with double spiro-locs. I had to get used to it. And once you know the tricks, its really easy (in and out). thought you still with get cut once in a while... those things are sharp for my fat fingers.

what I hate is what alot of guys are going with now days is a round "wire-loc". gotta hold your tounge just right... or "ping" and it goes flying across the room.
Jake Raby
The wire lock came from NASCAR.. I Love it and now all my custom pistons use them.
Brett W
Spiro-locks are great aren't they. As bad as they are to get out they do stay put. They are loads of fun on a VW motor because you get to work around the studs as well. At least on normal engines you can assemble the pins on the bench. I think Powerhouse makes a tool called a Lock-Buster. I have heard it works pretty well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.