Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hate price check post
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Coondog
Not a big fan when members ask our opinion on what 914 parts are worth. If you really want to know then do 5 minutes of research.

I have been interested in several items but some members gave sky-high price estimates on them. Maybe I am old school but we are all in this for the same reason, which I hope is not making a EBay type profit off each other. I will never meet the 18,000 plus members but if I can offer them a decent part at a realistic price then I will sleep sound at night.
JoeDees
Full agreement.
76-914
They're here Craig. And so are "like minded" people. You discover who as time goes on. BTW, that is very fair price you have listed on your FG valance.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Coondog @ Jan 13 2016, 04:41 PM) *

Not a big fan when members ask our opinion on what 914 parts are worth. If you really want to know then do 5 minutes of research.

I have been interested in several items but some members gave sky-high price estimates on them. Maybe I am old school but we are all in this for the same reason, which I hope is not making a EBay type profit off each other. I will never meet the 18,000 plus members but if I can offer them a decent part at a realistic price then I will sleep sound at night.

You're free to answer or ignore such posts. smile.gif

Okay, very interesting posting. Oh well if someone is inquiring, you have one of two out comes 1) assist with the inquiry 2) don't comment.

Lastly, if you want to offer your parts at a giveaway price point. ...its up to you.
Ps, not everyone is on this forum understand the "market " price of an item.
Mike Bellis
I'm just testing the waters...
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(396 @ Jan 13 2016, 05:17 PM) *
Lastly, if you want to offer your parts at a giveaway price point. ...it up to you.
Ps, not everyone is on this forum understand the "market " price of an item.

I gave away a motor today, hope I didn't ruin the market.
Mike Fitton

I have been interested in several items but some members gave sky-high price estimates on them.

Can you give us an example of the sky high prices that were posted on some items? I assume everyone who responds to a price check thread has info to back it up. We are all looking for deals on parts and would prefer uninformed sellers to sell to us under the current market value. I find a lot of good deals on Ebay for parts, usually from sellers who don't know the value of what they have.
Larmo63
I'm not a big fan of these fishing posts either, but what can you do? Guys have cool stuff that they have been holding on to, and they want to sell.

Mike Fitton
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jan 13 2016, 05:50 PM) *

I think that if you have a part, or parts that you aren't sure about the current value of, ask an expert via PM

Asking via PM or posting a Price Check thread should be the same results, or are you saying price responses to the threads are over inflated? The experts usually respond to the threads anyway right?
Mikey914
It's truly market driven for many parts, if the price is inflated, more parts come out and suppress the cost. It's not really that correct until someone pays for it.

I understand that you want a fair market value, but there are those that do just help out too.
Unobtanium-inc
In all seriousness, there is a little thing people do that really makes it hard for people trying to valuate things. They put something up for sale, and then when it sells they put $SOLD where the price was. So when you do a search months later you find one that sold, only to not know what price it sold at.
So if you sell something, leave the price up, put SOLD SOLD SOLD all over it, but you will greatly help people with a similar part.

Also, a peeve within the peeve, when you email the seller and ask what he sold said part at, they never get back to you, like it's all secret squirrel!
Sedonut
There are a lot of used parts out there, and some rare parts. I think it is fair is someone has something rare, NOS and no longer available to ask what it is worth.

I have stuff that was given to me, and If I don't use it I will give it away also.

It's NOS no longer available, what would you pay for the last new part?
Hank914
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jan 13 2016, 06:54 PM) *

In all seriousness, there is a little thing people do that really makes it hard for people trying to valuate things. They put something up for sale, and then when it sells they put $SOLD where the price was. So when you do a search months later you find one that sold, only to not know what price it sold at.
So if you sell something, leave the price up, put SOLD SOLD SOLD all over it, but you will greatly help people with a similar part.

Also, a peeve within the peeve, when you email the seller and ask what he sold said part at, they never get back to you, like it's all secret squirrel!

agree.gif

Yes. What's the big secret?

I say it should be like the stock market exchange. Prices posted as they go up and down, market based. Information is a good thing. So are free markets. Unless of course, you are a communist. Then the state owns the information and the markets. But I don't wanna get all political here, IYKWIM!

Peace out.
mgp4591
I've paid too much for some parts (according to well known members here) and then I've got some great deals from members here so in a way it's kind of a wash for me. I have a good knowledge of what prices are for other car parts and whole cars, but this Porsche thing is new to me even though I can smell a stinky deal a mile away like most of you. I've been able to keep within my modest budget and get everything I've needed so far so I'm good with that. I know I can't afford what some of these sweet rides are going for or even what some members here have into their cars but I can sure build one and be happy about it- that was my plan from the beginning!
Don't get stung out there...
914Sixer
I am one of those people that has recently started a price check. I am mad as hell about the intruders that have INVADED the Porsche world. Just look around at the unreal prices on all the web sites for anything marked Porsche. I have done my homework and know what the asking prices are but all of that is worthless because it is what the part sells for in the end. I want to sell my stuff to people at REAL WORLD prices. I have been on the World over 10 years and have been messing around the Porsche world since the 1970's so I can tell you all about the prices. My request are posted in the classified though.
boxstr
If you see something that you want to purchase, but you don't like the price, make an offer, if the seller says no, then on to the next.
Craig at CAMP
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(Coondog @ Jan 13 2016, 05:41 PM) *

Amen to that my brother
72wrxporsche914
I've given a lot of parts away just to help people . Not only parts but great deals on cars so they could afford to bring these cars back to life .
EdwardBlume
I get into parts, get tired of the hassle, and then stop. My wife will throw a few hundred parts out when I'm gone....
euro911
Most of the stuff I paid too much for was from ebay sellers (prior to joining up here). I've been treated well by most of the members here since I started obtaining the parts I needed (or wanted). I try to offer parts at affordable prices as well ... sometimes selling for way too low, or given away for no charge. It's not a business for me.
Big Len
If you're testing the waters for interest in such as a group buy, I don't have an issue.

If you're fishing for selling prices, keep those posts in the classified forum.
r_towle
So I have two Djet testers, what do you guys think they are worth?
Chris914n6
First off, it takes way more than 5 minutes to get a good idea of the value of anything. In general, someone with an 'extra' will sell for much less than one of the many parts pushers. Both have a tendency to delete the price after it's sold.

If you just happen to have an 'extra' lying around for a few years and want to offer fellow enthusiasts a fair price then what's the problem with asking?

I know from my WTB threads that prices are all over the place. The reasonable offers are usually posted, the sucker ones were always PM's and by dealers.
iankarr
As with everything, there are always a handful of people trying really hard to separate you from as many of your dollars as possible. However, on this site I've found that the vast majority of members are generous with their time and resources. Case in point...I posted a wtb for a fan housing nut that was impossible to find. Harpo responded and sent me the nut for free. When I asked if I could at least send him money for the postage and his trouble, he told me to just pay it forward. Which I will. It may have been just a nut, but that says a lot about the caliber of people on this site!
rmdinmd
I also have "searched" for prices for what stuff is selling for and at least half the time (if not more) the "asking" price has been deleted. sad.gif So While a "price check" might be annoying to some; it is a way to try to avoid putting a price that is way too high or low on a piece. I also agree there is nothing wrong with offering a lower price, the seller can always say no and you can still buy the part at an agreed upon price. I have noticed that many of the prices that seem too high or too low are from newer members.
bulitt
"Hate" is a pretty strong word to associate with a frivolous thread on a car forum.
But thats your choice. Doesn't bother me.
Coondog
Here's a more gentle way of putting it................ av-943.gif

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Values? WETMWB. What Ever The Market Will Bear. The search feature will guide you to the past and more current values if the ads haven't been edited with the annoying "SOLD!".
Eric_Shea
Agree with OP

99% are thinly veiled FS ads that clog up (and don't belong in) the garage. dry.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 16 2016, 04:49 PM) *

Agree with OP

99% are thinly veiled FS ads that clog up (and don't belong in) the garage. dry.gif

Yes very true but it serves a function for buyers like myself.
Weak dollar + high freight cost = big $$$$,this forum weeds out the parts speculators pretty quickly ..seen that biggrin.gif .
However I do agree with where these price inquires should be listed,the garage isn't the place,good comment Eric.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.