Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is a 73 914 1.7l engine w/valve problems JUNK?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Boldylocks
smoke.gif
This is an old post, refreshed by my new visit to 914 Mt. Olympus (914Club).

I have a 914 1.7l engine that is taking up WAY too much space in my garage...
I have NO IDEA what to do with it..ZERO..

It had 'valve' problems brought on by an exhaust downpipe coming loose, hot air/cold air, sad valve.. done.

The rest of the 'engine' must be OK. I found an awsome person on this site who sold me a replacement engine, and now, I NEED to find some way to get rid of the engine in a HELPFUL manner....

Dont want to JUNK it.. ya know?

If you have any ideas, need me to take any photos..etc.. let me know.
Brando
I'll take the heads off your hands smile.gif

As for the rest of the engine... See if there's an aluminum recycler and/or a steel recycler nearby. Break the engine down... see if someone will buy the case. If not, into the smelter it goes! Same for pistons, cylinders, crank and rods. Find a highschool metal shop in your area. They should have a foundry and be able to put your scrap metal to good use. I know at mine we smelted down anything from exhaust manifolds to aluminum trim pieces.
Mueller
post an ad in our classifieds or shoptalkforums.com......

I sold my old 1.7 core motor for like $50 to a VW bug doing a type IV conversion...
Dave_Darling
Yup, Shoptalkforums or the Samba. Bug guys love our 1.7s, they make nearly double their HP even when stock! And almost triple the torque, I think.... wink.gif

--DD
Boldylocks
Spoke with another 914club member who lives in town..
He said I should go ahead and learn about the engine... replace the yaddas with yaddas that I might be able to find for cheap, and then do something with the yadiddas and the laylaas and increase the horse-power. cool_shades.gif

It just feels like I'll have this engine for the rest of my life....
I'll take most of the suggestions, since I just cant leave it out in my yard and count on someone taking it away.
Mike D.
Hey boldylocks,
I sold you the engine a while back. How's that working out? Did you get it in and running?
-Mike D.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.