Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ain't this a Pisser
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
J P Stein
...often go astray. The suspension is compressed about 1 inch.
There is a 9/16 spacer screwed to the wheel which I can't get off with a hammer driver. Dunno if there would be enuff room, nowhow.
It would be an easy fix....cept for my new paint job headbang.gif
J P Stein
Not all bad news, tho.
pete-stevers
lets see some more pics of that car..... biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
Is that all the camber you are going to give them big fatties? How far ya gotta go till you reach the desired ride hieght?
If'n you take the spacer out 9/16 might get you there if the wheel continues to tilt inwards at the top as the car comes to ride hieght. Damn fat ass tires
J P Stein
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Mar 17 2005, 11:56 AM)
Is that all the camber you are going to give them big fatties? How far ya gotta go till you reach the desired ride hieght?
If'n you take the spacer out 9/16 might get you there if the wheel continues to tilt inwards at the top as the car comes to ride hieght. Damn fat ass tires

That's another facet of the problem. There is 1.8 negative camber in front. These tires like half that
Mueller
now I know why you want to call your car SOL biggrin.gif

bummer headbang.gif
ChrisReale
Had something to say, but it was worthless....
J P Stein
QUOTE (ChrisReale @ Mar 17 2005, 12:12 PM)
Had something to say, but it was worthless....

Hay, that never slowed me down......I learnt that from Miles laugh.gif
Speaking of SOL. I've tried to get hold of Qarl twice to see what kinda cookies he wanted. No reply.
If he doesn't reply soon, they go to Kevin....roadyguy.
SirAndy
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Mar 17 2005, 11:50 AM)
It would be an easy fix....

i know you're in the alzheimer age-bracket, but why the hell didn't you test fit the fenders/wheels *before* you painted them nice ???

confused24.gif Andy
J P Stein
Cause I just got the wheels/tiars yesterday.
It's *only* a slight miscalcumulation. biggrin.gif

I have options. I can throw on some 8 inch fuch & cantis.
Drill out the spacers & pray. Send out 2 of the wheels to be narrowed an inch & go with 9 inch slicks......or beat the dogshit out of the fenders & spray them gray primer.....humm, a plan Where's Mr. Kelly? laugh.gif
sixnotfour
Just go with the age old base ball bat method blink.gif paint may still be soft ohmy.gif

What kind of wheels are those ? Can you swap the inner to outers? changing the offset.
Bolt the halves to the backside of the center? probably that way aready.

Im sure youll fiugure somthing out. smash.gif
Rough_Rider
Hmm not a great situation, hate to see you trash the fender & tyres

If your going to bash the fenders out anyway, you could try rolling the lip with one of those arch rollers jigs. Prolly won't give enough clearance.

Or step the fender out from the body... ! Hmm lots of new material would be needed grafted in...

Another option bolt on flares! Trim back the current fenders & bolt away.

Any chance the a arms could be shortened, tucking the entire assembly under the body more?

I can pop round if you need a hand.
nine14cats
JP,

Your other alternative is to go with Bontempi's front flares as well. The 22x10x16's will clear those fenders.

You could be up and running pretty quick...here's the plan:

1. Get the front flares from HPH.
2. Rattle can primer them.
3. Cut your old fenders off.
4. Fasten your new fenders on.
5. Paint the new fenders yellow next winter.

All good to go! laugh.gif

Sorry to hear about the miscalc. I hope you are not set back to much. If you want a comparison of how far along you are, just think of my car build and be thankful you can touch your car!

Bill P.
Thorshammer
back to camber, are you sure you have enough negative camber in that front end with those tires, I know their clicks but radials or bias ply?? Maybe a touch more camber will get you by, If not, Heat the spacer to get it off and next time use a little anti seize on the hub?? Maybe?

Good luck,

Erik

Post script, Shoot the fenders with some carb clean and tell him it just peeled. LOL Thats what most people would do.
Eddie914
JP

What size are the wheels/tires?

Eddie
Andyrew
JP, I just realized that your car is going to look very simular to mine... ohmy.gif

I'd say hammer out the fenders after you take off the spacer.

J P Stein
QUOTE (Thorshammer @ Mar 17 2005, 01:32 PM)
back to camber, are you sure you have enough negative camber in that front end with those tires, I know their clicks but radials or bias ply?? Maybe a touch more camber will get you by, If not, Heat the spacer to get it off and next time use a little anti seize on the hub?? Maybe?

Good luck,

Erik

Post script, Shoot the fenders with some carb clean and tell him it just peeled. LOL Thats what most people would do.

From more than one trusted source, I'm told that the tires like .7-.8 negative.

I tried heat....but I need more heat. I think they have locktight on em'. I've never come across a screw that would resist a hammer driver. They are NAS fasteners.....but the whole works will fit in my drill press biggrin.gif The spacers came from the factory like that....I suspect to get the proper backspace. They could be left hand threads, but I can't imagine why.
J P Stein
QUOTE (Eddie914 @ Mar 17 2005, 01:37 PM)
JP

What size are the wheels/tires?

Eddie

Eddie:
10 X 16 wheels. 3 piece Monocoque(sp?) (No longer in biddness) 10 X 22 Hoosiers....R35s
Jeroen
man that blows! (or sucks or...)
If your credit card can still hold em, go get some HPH front fenders and slap 'm on
Howard
Blasphemy, I know, but have always liked the radiused wheel wells of the RSK's and 904's better than the semi squared off look on the 914. Hmmmm...

Howard
hmmm 2
DNHunt
Damn JP

If it wasn't yellow I would have thought that was some of my work. I can't offer any advice, but I can sympathize.

Dave
redshift
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Mar 17 2005, 04:17 PM)
Hay, that never slowed me down......I learnt that from Miles laugh.gif

ASS! It's your fault, I tried to get you this far along TWO YEARS AGO!

laugh.gif

Fun Fact: I am my own form of birth control.

M
redshift
QUOTE (DNHunt @ Mar 17 2005, 07:32 PM)
I can't offer any advice, but I can sympathize.

Dave

...... and laugh!!

sad.gif

Poor JP, he's about to have new primered flares...

rolleyes.gif

m
Joe Bob
agree.gif

JP...spay and nueter yer pet....
Katmanken
JP,

Ain't it always the same.........

Ya can never find Superman when you need him....

happy11.gif

Ken
J P Stein
Well, this is mo better. I had to drill out the spacer screws on the back of the wheel. It was bout 9/16 thick. Now I gotta shave down the outside of the caliper & the back of the wheel
spokes...bout .05 each. Other than that, life is gud biggrin.gif

At full compression.
J P Stein
Full lock, full compression.
sixnotfour
Lookin Good, I guess youre Not SOL.

Those wheels look great smilie_pokal.gif

Yellow hood too , clap.gif
J P Stein
"While I'm there" I think I'll paint the recessed part of the wheels......maybe yellow biggrin.gif

I gotta do my usual "remove all sharp edges" bit on em'
& clean em' up nowhow.
McMark
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Mar 19 2005, 12:11 PM)
"While I'm there" I think I'll paint the recessed part of the wheels......maybe yellow biggrin.gif

I gotta do my usual "remove all sharp edges" bit on em'
& clean em' up nowhow.

Nah, you need an accent color. Green? Blue? Puuuuurple?
sixnotfour
BadAss Black, I was thinking the same thing, accent color.

Cookie reward challenge II ohmy.gif
Trekkor
Looking great, JP.
Can't wait for the first pics out of the garage fully assembled. drooley.gif

KT
rhodyguy
leave the body alone and spend some money on wheels and tires that will work. did you sell the ones that probaly would have worked? you guys and your BIG tires.

k
J P Stein
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 19 2005, 12:43 PM)
leave the body alone and spend some money on wheels and tires that will work. did you sell the ones that probaly would have worked? you guys and your BIG tires.

k

I was thinkin' about some 165 s on 5 X15s with 6 inch spacers...but not for long laugh.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Mar 19 2005, 05:29 PM)
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 19 2005, 12:43 PM)

k

I was thinkin' about some 165 s on 5 X15s with 6 inch spacers...but not for long laugh.gif

If you do that let me know first....and I'll go buy some Michelin tire stock shares smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.