Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Emergency Suspension Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris Julian
Hi all,

My 914-8 is at Custom Alignment in Mt View, CA for a final alignment prior to this weekends autocross @ Marina. I’m having Custom Alignment perform a four-corner alignment and four-corner balance. They just called with an issue—the front RS coil-over struts are not properly rotating on the monoball mounts. Seems the monoball is too sticky and is not allowing the front wheels to track properly. They suggested using a needle thrust bearing between the coil spring hat and the monoball. Is this a common component that I just left out?

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Mueller
yes...you want them.....not too many people run them, but they should....

phantom914
Do you have a picture of your set-up? I have Ground Control camber plates on another vehicle and needle bearings are used for rotation.

Andrew
Mueller
oh yea, it might be overkill, but I installed these on my rear shocks as well screwy.gif biggrin.gif
Chris Julian
Thanks Mike. I ordered roller thrust bearings from Mcmaster Carr- I should get them in the AM and maybe the car will still be ready by the end of the day Friday??? Are you attending the Marina event? driving.gif

Chris

Mueller
Are you attending the Marina event?  

I got a flat tire on my trailer and I don't trust the 914 enough to drive it that far....especially with the bad traffic for the drive back home.....
fiid
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

not sure what this would look like ...?

Is this to stop the shock shaft from having to rotate???

SirAndy
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 17 2005, 01:47 PM)
and I don't trust the 914 enough to drive it that far....

that engine of yours has made that drive numerous times without any trouble ...

biggrin.gif Andy
TimT
but I installed these on my rear shocks as well

I installed them on the front and rear of both my cars, it makes it easy to adjust the cornerweights of the car, I can leave the car on the scales, and easily adjust the weights

I also modifed the spanner I have by cutting it short, and welding a 3/8 socket extension on it so I can reach the perch adjusters using long extensions
TimT
nutter
Chris Julian
OK now I did not think of putting the bearing at that location but maybe that would work as well. Actually now that I think of it it wont. That thrust bearing set will only help with coil spring adjustments, not strut rotation loading against the underside of the monoball. Right?? Maybe it would, the rotation is just located at the spring-to-hat interface and not the hat-to-monoball interface. Anyone following me?

CJ
Mueller
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Mar 17 2005, 03:19 PM)
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 17 2005, 01:47 PM)
and I don't trust the 914 enough to drive it that far....

that engine of yours has made that drive numerous times without any trouble ...

biggrin.gif Andy

yea, but I installed it this time smile.gif smash.gif

bummer, I was just checking the weather report and it looks like it supposed to rain this weekend and into the beginning of next week headbang.gif I just got my 914 registered today and I want to start driving it sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.