Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone ever run these megaphones?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
I'd venture to say that they would be loud ohmy.gif
brant
Mike,

the consensus around here is that twin exhausts are not so good on a 4... but good on a 6.

I know Brad can add input and probably more accurate input than my little "consensus" one.

I haven't seen this on a dyno (the 4cylinder statement) so I can't verify it... but I've heard it over and over from my motor builder, and he probably did get it from a dyno.

brant
Jeroen
those look like porsche factory megaphones welded to 914/4 flanges

iirc the p-megaphones have no damping at all (unlike supertrapps) so it would be like running without a muffler soundwise

I believe they used the megaphones instead of straight pipes because they have a 'velocity stack' effect

the main reason not to run a double exhaust like this on a /4 is because the firing sequence of the cilinders isn't equal left/right (unlike a /6) so you need a x-over between the left and right header/he

cheers,

jeroen
Mueller
I had no intentions of using these....I replaced the front shock inserts on a fellow 914 owners car and he gave these to me for helping him....

Stock heatexchangers for me with a Bursh muffler is all I'm running....I want a header, but I'm too cheap to pay for one smile.gif
Mark Henry
They are real close to the stinger I run on the bug, when I want to piss-off the neighbours. :finger2:

I use a four into one merged header and the stinger has a baffle in it that I take out for drag racing. Twice as loud without the baffle, all it has is a perforated tube that bolts in. Once in a while I remove the baffle and wrap it in fiberglass to quiet it down.

A four into one merged header is the proper exhaust for a Type 1 (bug) engine, so I very much doubt that the Type 4 is any different. beer.gif
Brad Roberts
Mike,

Who gave you those ?? I sold those at a Automotion swap meet back in 1999. I know the dent in the end of the one. I sold them for 50$ They work well for what they cost.

B
Mueller
A kid by the name of Eric, I installed new KYB's for him at my house (no charge of course, LOL)....he used to show up to a few of the Roadglue events but I have not heard from him in about a year now....he has or had a yellow 1.7 car and lived out in the Pittsburg/Concord area
L8Apex
Mike, you can install my engine in mine for me. After rebuild, sitting for about a week waiting for help.

Or, I could go there, wash A car, then you can give me the megaphones. hehehe
Dave_Darling
Wuzzat the "yellow submarine" 914? Eric Geer's ride?

--DD
seanery
I've got a set (from performance) for my 6 jet hot coated used with bursch headers that are also jet hot'ed.
L8Apex
Hmm, i wonder if I can run my extra rice rocket muffler on my car.

IPB Image
spyder9014
I had these on my 74 1.8. The local VW shop welded baffles into them to 'quiet' them down. This was a quick fix for stripped exhaust studs, I couldn't get both of the exchangers to line up with the Bursch exhaust.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.