Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Different exhaust flanges?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All -
I picked up a couple of the megaphone "mufflers" at one of our local swaps. They are open megaphones with a cookie cutter mounted in the end - no muffling at all. They came off of 2.0 car. I went to mount them up and the holes are off pretty significantly. My car is a 2.0, but it has stainless 1.7 exchangers on it from the PO.
Are the flanges different or could it simply less than stellar manufacturing?

Thanks -
Scott S (with dremel in hand....)
Allan
Different.
Demick
I think the flanges themselves are the same, but the location is different (both vertical position and center-to-center distance between the left and right flanges).

Demick
Scott S
Here is what I am seeing. The yellow dots represent the 1.7 holes on my exchangers and the white are the holes on the megaphones.
Demick
Looks like time to get out the die grinder!!!!! sawzall-smiley.gif
davep
Different flanges, different gaskets, different locations, and different muffler hanger.
It is an all or nothing situation: all 2.0 or all 1.7/1.8, no mix and match!
Joe Bob
In my experience...most manufactured megaphone flanges are oval with two bolts holes (911 style) or triangular with three bolts (single stinger 914 style).

Those most like are home made jobs....if you seperate the banks you more than likely loose a lot of bottom end torque. Unless you have a cross over.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.