Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas Tank Condition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmascari
I know this topic has been beaten to death and I have read the current threads. I really just want some expert opinions of my gas tank. To me it looks OK and I wouldn't think it needs to be re-lined. I ran some gas through it and there was some dirt that came through; not a lot. If you agree, what would you recommend to flush it with? Thanks in advanceClick to view attachment
mmascari
Click to view attachment
mmascari
Click to view attachment
BeemerSteve
Mine looked much better than yours when I pulled it. I had it re-lined anyway so that way it's scratched off the things to do down the road list. A local rad shop boiled it out then lined it for $100.00. biggrin.gif
mmascari
Wow, that is a good price. In Northern California the lowest price I could find was $275. That included the boiling and lining. Just to boil was $175.
Vysoc
Treat the tank with Marine Clean and then Metal Ready.

These are from the POR 15 Family.

Not endorsing the POR 15 just their preparation products.

Vysoc flag.gif
mmascari
Thanks Vysoc. So just buy like a quart of each and flush it through? Marine Clean first, then the Metal Prep? I actually used the same products when I cleaned and prepped the floorboards and trunks for paint.
EdwardBlume
McMark lined mine. Now where did he move to?
Series9
That tank is fine. Fill it with gas, put a filter in the line, change the filter after a few tanks and move on with your life. smile.gif
Vysoc
The Marine Clean is a big time degreaser the Metal Ready is a Rust Remover, these would clean the crap out of your tank.

If Joe from Series 9 says do not worry..... then I think you are are OK.

Clean the tank in whatever way you want, just make sure you change out your fuel filter.

Good Luck!!!

Vysoc flag.gif
brant
QUOTE(Vysoc @ Jan 15 2016, 05:25 PM) *

Treat the tank with Marine Clean and then Metal Ready.

These are from the POR 15 Family.

Not endorsing the POR 15 just their preparation products.

Vysoc flag.gif

agree.gif
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(mmascari @ Jan 15 2016, 04:01 PM) *

Wow, that is a good price. In Northern California the lowest price I could find was $275. That included the boiling and lining. Just to boil was $175.

Yeah, I thought it was too seeing how the time spent with me doing it without a guarantee if I did it.
Things here are a little slower than California....I know how much, I lived in San Jose from 1962 until I left for the PNW in 1997 and haven't looked back. I have to admit that I do miss Sears Point and Laguna Seca.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.