Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How stong is the stock engine bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tazz9924
Hello 914 World, im building a suby swap and i have small car engine mounts. i was thinking about modifying the stock engine bar to except the small car mounts but is it strong enough? Also as a side question would it make an intense axle angle with a suby 5 speed?
Andyrew
Yes, V8 conversions have used the stock engine bar without any issues. It will hold the subaru engine no problem, in fact they are not that much different weight wise.
tazz9924
Awesome thank you!
JRust
I would recommend the early engine bar for tail shift tranny's over the late side shift bar. It is very stout & easier to build on. The later side shift engine bar not so much
ThePaintedMan
It'll hold it, the problem is the weird leverage put on the bar because of how far the mounts are from the bar. On the Suby, they're at the back of the engine, versus right up front on the 914 Type 4 engine. That's why a lot of people end up just making a cradle.
BIGKAT_83
Mount the bar solid to the engine and then use the 70-72 engine mounts at the ends of the crossbar. This worked super good on the EG33 engine I had in my car to start with.
I made the engine and transaxle mounts in about 4 hrs.
If I was doing another Subaru conversion that's the way I would do it. The stock Subaru mounts are way to soft to use without using the stock lateral rear upper mount a Subaru uses.

Bob

Series9
Both early and late bars will easily hold it.
tazz9924
Thanks for all the replies im now looking for an engine bar because the PO did not include it in the sale. anyone got one?
914werke
PM sent
Chris H.
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jan 16 2016, 02:16 PM) *

Mount the bar solid to the engine and then use the 70-72 engine mounts at the ends of the crossbar. This worked super good on the EG33 engine I had in my car to start with.

Bob

Still working super good actually beerchug.gif .

ThePaintedMan
Sorry for the hijack... so Chris, is the bar that you got from Bob an early, 70-72 bar (with the Subaru mounts welded to it, of course)? I know you're using the Suby transmission.

Since I am retaining the 901 transmission, and I have a side-shift, I'm trying to figure out how a way to use the following, if it's even possible.

1) Early 70-72 engine mounts mounting to a..
2) Side shift engine bar (73-76) and building a...
3) Solid mount from that engine bar to the SVX mounts

I have a cradle that JRust sent me, but I'm not sure I want to go this route.
Chris H.
No problem George... I am using Bob's mount which is an early bar that bolts directly to the EG33 with no Subaru engine mounts. It's very simple. I think there is a pic of it in my build thread. There are a couple of very sturdy pieces of iron bolted to the engine bar which are L shaped and then bolt where the engine mounts would normally bolt to. I'll be taking the engine out soon if you want me to measure it. You could definitely make a similar one for your engine, just be slightly different hole placement due to the trans being a little farther forward.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.