Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remove exhaust to adjust valves ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wyvern
I know I don't HAVE to (found great tutorials here on this forum)

But ... it is my first time on the 914 and figured it would make the process MUCH easier and a good opportunity to clean and inspect things. It can't take too long.

Or am I just asking for trouble.
pete000
Just hope you don't strip a stud ! They can be really tight.

I just did my valves and only pulled the J tubes and flapper boxes.
Wyvern
That was kinda my fear ... I don't need to remove the exhaust . and really don't need to deal with a broken stud.

Ill give it a whirl without removing it .

Going to do the valve cover mod while I am at it ...
rjames
It can be done without moving the exchangers and best not to take them off unless you have to as stripping the exhaust stud threads is pretty common and not something you want to deal with. Valve adjustments with the exchangers takes some contorting, but it's doable, and isn't that difficult after you do it a few times.
steuspeed
It's not that bad. You just have to figure out how to get your arms up in there and get the feeler gauge in place. Last time I did mine, only a couple needed slight adjustment.
76-914
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Jan 15 2016, 11:25 PM) *

It's not that bad. You just have to figure out how to get your arms up in there and get the feeler gauge in place. Last time I did mine, only a couple needed slight adjustment.

agree.gif
stugray
And a set of Go/NoGo feelers makes the job easier.
Last time I found some at autozone.
pete000
What kind of valve cover mod are you talking about. I think the stock covers and spring clips are the best way to go for leak free covers. Just always never reuse the cork gaskets.

TheCabinetmaker
Why turn a half hour job into a two hour job. Leave the exhaust. There's room to work around it. Hardest one to turn is 1 and 3 intake. I use a dime to turn them.
Wyvern
Thanks for the insight .
I will do with exhaust in place .

The valve cover mod that I saw is this one .
It is on Pelican (hope it is "OK" to link that ... if not I'll remove

914 Valve Cover Mod
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.