Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need HELP with Weber Carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dcecc1968
I'm in the final stages of installation of dual 40 IDF carbs and something with the air filter assembly doesn't look right. After I put on the gasket and air filter assembly, there is space between the gasket edge and the top of the carb. The mating surfaces of the gasket appears to be fine, but I am concerned that when I put the air filter assembly on, I'll be screwing on the 4 nuts with no supporting surface below.

I purchased these carbs used and I can see that the air filter plate was warped a little due to the previous owner overtightening one screw.

Is this the way the air filter assembly is supposed to work?

Also, I'm missing the 4 nuts for the air filter assembly, are you guys using double nuts on each post or a lock washer and nut to ensure the nuts don't come off and into the intake.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tomrev
You have the wrong carb base for those carbs; the base needs to sit on the lower plane, as you have discovered. It's possible the base can be cut to slip over the inner, raised center section. Miss matched bits.
ThePaintedMan
I believe with those particular air filters it should go ->

1) Carb
2) Carb top
3) Cork gasket
4) Air filter bottom plate
5) 4 Nylock nuts

Nylock will prevent them from vibrating loose and ending up down in the engine.

Edit: agree.gif with what the posted above said, same idea. That very top adapter isn't necessary with these air cleaners.
tomrev
QUOTE(tomrev @ Jan 16 2016, 11:36 AM) *

You have the wrong carb base for those carbs; the base needs to sit on the lower plane, as you have discovered. It's possible the base can be cut to slip over the inner, raised center section. Miss matched bits.

I ment to say "Filter base".
stugray
Did you try flipping the linkage bases from one carb to the other and turning them over?

That would put the flat side facing up where the filter base would sit on flat metal.
dcecc1968
So, if I understand correctly, I really don't need the plate (shown in red below)currently screwed onto the top of my carbs if I use the current air filter base?

I could just unscrew and remove the top plate and screw the air filter base on top. Or alternatively, I could try to flip the plate over on the other carb.

Tom/Stu/George, thanks for your input.

Click to view attachment
SKL1
Also, that looks like Redline linkage- I could never get that to work well- got the Tangerine linkage. Not cheap, but works great...

And yes, that top part doesn't look like my Webers but the air cleaner assembly looks the same.
Old Yella
The carb top is in fact a set of combined velocity stacks/air horns. You can take them off and buy a cheap set of new air horns to replace them or use those ones once you put the filter housing under them.

Some Examples:- with combined air horns and with individual horns.
r_towle
This is what you want to do.
dcecc1968
That is exactly what I needed to see. Thanks fellas for all your input.

-Don

PS - Yes I've read all the threads about problems getting this linkage to work with carburetors, I'll give it a try and when I can't get it to work, I'll buy the Tangerine linkage... you can't beat the quality of Chris' products.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.