Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Question from England!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lennyhope
A question from England! I want to get something sent from a friend's private address in Oregon 97060 to the UK. Weight is 5 pounds. Is anyone able to tell me the lowest price to mail to England from West Coast USA, please? The friends I will be getting an item sent to inside the US, are away and I cant ask them. Can u help??
toolguy
If it it heavy and will fit in a USPS flat rate box, that's the way to go
bandjoey
Priority international. Probably $25 in a flat rate box. Google it for exact rates US Post.

Be sure to pack the weed in foil and mothballs. smile.gif)
lennyhope
QUOTE(toolguy @ Jan 16 2016, 10:38 PM) *

Price? It is for a new carpet.
Spoke
Go to www.usps.com and check rates for the weight and size of the parcel. USPS is generally the least expensive way to ship. The $25 quoted for flat rate box does not include tracking but I'm not sure the carpet would fit in a flat rate box.
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(lennyhope @ Jan 16 2016, 02:39 PM) *

QUOTE(toolguy @ Jan 16 2016, 10:38 PM) *

Price? It is for a new carpet.

I'd be more than happy to hand carry it to you if you like as I have a few friends in the southwest of England.....just pay for the flight over. biggrin.gif
TheCabinetmaker
No tracking by usps outside of USA. Small flat rate box is 25 USD and limited to 4 pounds. Medium flat rate is about 65. First class mail is also limited to 4 pounds. First class mail for a 3 pound package is 33 dollars, so two packages first class is about the same as a medium flat rate. Price goes up if any dimension of package is over 12". You'll also pay import tax.
toolguy
find someone to bring it back as baggage on a plane
Mark Henry
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 16 2016, 05:39 PM) *

Priority international. Probably $25 in a flat rate box. Google it for exact rates US Post.

Be sure to pack the weed in foil and mothballs. smile.gif)

The foil will get a search for sure.... dry.gif

smoke.gif
lennyhope
Size 22x18x4 and 5 pounds
eitnurg
A shame that even USPS no longer seem to offer anything that is specifically “surface mail”, ie by sea.
On arrival in Europe we have to pay import duty on the “landed cost of the goods”: ie, including freight cost & all charges. A private individual (companies can claim it back) then pays tax on the total, ie cost + freight + duty + charges. With a high cost for unnecessary airfreight these “extras” soon become horrendous and in some cases can exceed the cost of the goods themselves.
Shipping to Europe (& elsewhere) the 3 golden rules are cost, cost and cost. Speed is irrelevant: who cares if it takes a month, as long as it’s as cheap as possible. Unfortunately this doesn’t seem to penetrate to the likes of FedEx and UPS.
TheCabinetmaker
Some times flat rate boxes are not the best route. This package can only ship priority mail, but still cost under 70.00
lennyhope
I'm going to have it shipped domestic to friend in Oregon and then work it out from there...
toolguy
USPS has one flat rate box they don't advertise. . it's the
size of Monopoly Board Game box. . longer and not as tall as
the usual flat rate large box. .
porschetub
QUOTE(lennyhope @ Jan 18 2016, 01:01 AM) *

I'm going to have it shipped domestic to friend in Oregon and then work it out from there...

I use a NZ based freight-forward company in Oregon,it saves me some money,every 914 part I buy ends up expensive and I just have to suck it up.
I would like a carpet set for mine but the shippings too much to my country ,problem is I'am paying for it with our "weak" dollar also,this is not such a problem for you,good luck getting it to the UK beer.gif
Chris914n6
Make a friend on a US Military base. Domestic rates apply.
rhodyguy
See if If the set could be rolled up and use a cardboard tube. Unfortunately, shipping is what shipping is. UPS and Fedex will prob be more $. If you're buying from 914rubber get the other bits and ends you might need in the future, put them in the container, and only pay shipping once. I 'think' if someone had 'installed' the carpet set in their car and decided it wasn't for them, the carpets might qualify as 'used' parts and the VAT determined accordingly. If you catch my drift....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.