Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Forming Carpets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MecGen
Hello
I would like to make a non conform 914 carpet, shouldn't be too hard rite. Someone told me that to mold the curves, lets say, the handbrake knockout, you have to use steam to form bends, but he left without explaning.
Can someone explane this to me or give a "how to" link, this would be a big help.
Thanx 1000 times in advance
Cheers
Joe

beerchug.gif
PS... if any upolstorer(sp) guru want to jump in...thanx
Gint
I saw some show on satellite that featured mid-america (I think). They showed them making formed carpet. They heat the carpet up really quick to 300 degrees and then press it in a mold. May not help you, but interesting to see how it is done by the manufacturer. Maybe careful application of a heat gun?
akellym
Yes you need to use steam! You need to get a upholstery steamer. Lay the capter where you want it, leaving extra to trim after you have molded it. Apply steam until you get the shape you want and let it cool. Make sure you use a good glue, a high heat one.
Demick
A 914 carpet needs almost no molding because there are almost no compound curves. Just get a can of 3M spray on adhesive and glue the carpet down. It wont glue it down permanently, but glue it and leave it for a few months and it will mold perfectly.

Demick
MecGen
Hi
Thanx guys
Make sure you use a good glue, a high heat one.

Do you apply the glue before the steam/molding, high heat glue?
Thanx
Joe

beerchug.gif

akellym
Don't use 3M unless it says it for high heat. Read the cans it will tell what temps it can handle. I used a high heat contact glue. You apply it to both surfaces and let it set for 5mins. If you use a carpet with a stiff backer you will need steam, apply the glue after everything has dried. If you use one without a a backer just use glue.
TravisNeff
careful with the heat, and especially with the spray glue. If the carpet has a nylon backing, or the carpet is nylon - you'll have berber carpeting in no time!

You can toss the carpet pieces in the dryer with a towel or two to loosen them up from the pounding of the towels and heat.
MecGen
Thanx
Gonna see if I can track down a steamer, so far the interesting choices have backing. Maybe a steamer like the one that they show at nite, on TV addamercial, got a friend that bought one and loves it.
Do ya think it would work ?
Cheers
Joe

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.