Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoration Begins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
The Engineer
For starters, I'll introduce myself, I am an engineering student in Atlanta. I don't have a lot of experience with restoring cars, but I'm learning as i go. My degree will be in Mechatronics Engineering, which really just means I like to play with robots. Enough about me, and now onto the car.

She's a 1970 914 4, and she's in pretty rough shape. Floor plans rusted out, rust in the hell hole, and miscellaneous minor rust throughout the rest of the car. The interior of the car is pretty much non existent. The good news is that it was running a few months ago, according to the PO who I wouldn't of believed if he hadn't shown me a video of it running, however it no longer starts. I bought it for $900, which I don't think was a bad price, although the more i dig into it the more rust I find. Oh, and one of the PO's decided it was a good idea to do a carb conversion. These are all the pictures I have at the moment, I'll get some better ones sometime later this week. Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=536
413]
TheCabinetmaker
Ton of work there. Good luck, and welcome.
stevegm
welcome.png
Cairo94507
welcome.png No problem.
Coondog
Congrats, have fun with your new toy !!!
iwanta914-6
welcome.png

You have a long road ahead, enjoy it!
veekry9
Fortitude,stamina and resolute determination are the requisite characteristics.
May I direct you to a similar effort.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=16748&hl=

http://www.restoration-design.com/store/category/914#P345
This is a huge project,the panels and ribs are big timesavers and not easily replicated.
The tub is very weak and must be strutted to ensure the geometry while under repair.
Let the journey begin. biggrin.gif
welcome.png
mark04usa
welcome.png Great to see another '70 model will be saved!
BeemerSteve
welcome.png Can't wait to see it! popcorn[1].gif
PanelBilly
Fun project. I'd start by stripping it all the way down and sending it off to be walnut blasted. That will expose all of the questionable areas and give you the real picture of what needs to be addressed

And Welcome
mb911
I am glad to see you save it. I see way to many of these cars cut up and scrapped. In 10 years there won't be much left. 15 years ago rust free was rare and now a days even rarer.. I am redoing a 73 right now as a way to relax and find it very enjoyable.. I hope you will as well
The Engineer
I wish i had the money to tear it down completely and blast it, but that's not in the budget. Works had me pretty busy so i haven't done too much. The engine was covered in old grease (And some new) so I decided to go ahead and drop the engine. Here are some pictures of after the engine drop and then the dismantling of the engine.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Geezer914
Hate to rain on your parade, but just looking at the amount of rust in the floor pan and the long, I would use this as a parts car and look for a tub from CA or AZ. The resto sheet metal parts are going to cost much more, not counting your labor, welding materials, grinding, sanding, cutting, bracing, and building a jig to keep the body in line. As you mentioned, you are not that experienced in car restoration.

I was lucky to find a CA car located in PA. I had to replace the battery tray, patch an area on the lower shelf and patch the lower firewall from the rear window leaking. So even CA cars are not rust free. I just hate to see you try to tackle something that is way over your head, and after spending lots of time and money, loose interest. These cars are a lot of fun to drive and turn heads everywhere you go!
mepstein
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Mar 20 2016, 08:41 AM) *

Hate to rain on your parade, but just looking at the amount of rust in the floor pan and the long, I would use this as a parts car and look for a tub from CA or AZ. The resto sheet metal parts are going to cost much more, not counting your labor, welding materials, grinding, sanding, cutting, bracing, and building a jig to keep the body in line. As you mentioned, you are not that experienced in car restoration.

I was lucky to find a CA car located in PA. I had to replace the battery tray, patch an area on the lower shelf and patch the lower firewall from the rear window leaking. So even CA cars are not rust free. I just hate to see you try to tackle something that is way over your head, and after spending lots of time and money, loose interest. These cars are a lot of fun to drive and turn heads everywhere you go!

agree.gif
A couple months ago I bought a good running '71 from CA for $2500, spent $900 to get shipped to Delaware and had a good running car that just needed some bodywork and paint. I pulled the engine for a 6 conversion but I could have driven it as-is.
Your car is really, really rough. Your into it for thousands $'s and hundreds of hours just to get the shell back together. It will cost you much less buying a better car and since these cars are 40+ years old, there's always something to work on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.