Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: npc what have i been up too
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
messix
i'm crewing on a race car for one of the guys in my 4x4 club.
the up coming race is down in Johnson valley California at a race called King of the hammers.
the attrition rated is 90% and is really arguably the toughest race of any kind.

pretty good depiction of what it is here http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/g6...youll-ever-see/

and here is the car just one and a half weeks from leaving for the race.... so much yet to do
jd74914
Very cool! I've always wanted to work on one of those.

Got any specs you can share?
r_towle
What a neat piece of machinery
messix
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jan 17 2016, 04:04 PM) *

Very cool! I've always wanted to work on one of those.

Got any specs you can share?

gm lsx based all alloy 392ci 500hp, gm e4l80 tranny, 4 speed transfer case, custom extreme duty front and rear axle housings, over 2 ft of travel front and rear, tire size for class is 37", car is heavier than it looks. it can drive over and up things you would never imagine.
Alphaogre
I have been wanting to make it to KOH for the last couple of years. I have helped pit crew for a couple trophy trucks and class 1 cars in the past. The amount of intricacy and fabrication on these can't even be conveyed in photos, they are great to see in person!
messix
not to mention the brutal beating these machines take
messix
Prerunning.... no we are not upside down. I tried to flip the picture and it still posts it upside down
Jonathan Livesay
Ahh, I thought that was a "how not to" picture.
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(messix @ Feb 3 2016, 10:48 AM) *

Prerunning.... no we are not upside down. I tried to flip the picture and it still posts it upside down

An Australian race huh?? poke.gif
messix
We finished and it looks like a top15-20 overall finish. Huge rock took a wheel early and hydraulic pump for the steering blew a seal the last 50 miles and they had to keep refilling it. We will know final stands when all cars are in and corrected times are done.
pt_700
how's access for spectators? can one reach the "city" in a car (i'd imagine so if an rv could)? how about reaching the viewing areas?

i'd like to check this out one year. the article in my r&t magazine piqued my interest.
KELTY360
Fun stuff Troy! Looks like the Lunar Rover.
messix
Getting to hammertown is no problem for cars but best in a truck or other 4x4. Hammer town has a jumbotron that covers some of the highlight areas. They use helicopters to shoot the leading action. Getting to spectating areas is ok by 4x4 truck, better and more access in trail rigs. There are events every day from Sunday to Friday.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.