Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Maaaaco paint job
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914ghost
$500 in and out in 4 days. I pulled the bumpers, lights, windshield trim, door handles engine lid, rocker/ valences..etc etc...
Not great, but for the price and turn around time it's hard to beat. 1yr guarantee on the finish too. They left a couple "buggers" in the paint is the only parts that bugs me.
Instead of saying something and offering to fix them for $100 or something they just sprayed right over them. No biggie, the fact that they're there fits the overall appearance- kind of says "looks great..but..." I don't really care. It runs too F%#king good!!
Like my exhaust?
It's a tri-mil 2 muffler monza style thing, sounds awesome!! But i couldn't stand the damn 4 chrome tips..I'll trim the outlets with something.

Bob O
jwalters
I think it looks very good! Now go driving.gif while looking cool.gif
Ray Warren
Give us more details on the mods to your muffler. pics?
STL914
Congrats on your Maacco experience, mine was much worse.
After $1200 and three repaints, each one worse that the previous one, the manager offered me a whopping $65 to walk away and accept the lousy paint job on my '74.

After several phone calls to the BBB and Maacco's home office,
a second Maacco shop offered to repaint my car again. At least the shop's owner, who owned a 924, took some pride in the work his people turned out. Still not great, but at least it was
a decent looking paint job.

914ghost
The muffler looks kind of like this one :
user posted image
But mine is made by tri-mil and the pipes come off the ends of the mufflers, they loop around and split into 2 where the chrome tips are. I just hacked off the pipe right as it exits the muffler and put a simple outlet on there.
I cut a matching hole in the rear valence to balance it out. It's *okay* - not perfect. But it sounds like a 6 cylinder because the chrome tips I hacked off are baffled- now they're gone. So it's a good deep sound.

My paint job is just okay...probably not good enough for most people. But I asked for cheap and I got it, and I got it fast. And it's not horrible, looks good few feet away, shiny, but not too shiny too make the crap too obvious. The rest of the car is the same- it's a GREAT car overall, but just because not one part is worse than the rest- except the thing absolutely screams!
OH! I almost took issue with the Maaco manager about the couple little fudges in the paint then i saw that someone had knocked over the bench where the headlight covers and surrounds were- while the paint was wet. I just looked at them, at the manager and raised an eyebrow.. he was quick: "Oh yeah, I'll have those bits repainted by friday". .

Bob O
CptTripps
Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have just done all the prep, and dropped it off there. I spent $600 on the paint STUFF...and now I have to perform too!
xsboost90
my buddy took his mustang to maaco and said paint it black. He even put a big sign in the window- PAINT THIS CAR BLACK!- when he picked it up it was yellow, but there was a black one there w/ yellow trim... blink.gif
redshift
Rockin! Now, quick! Dump it on Ebay as a mint original!

wink.gif

It looks nice in the pic.

M
STL914
Growing up in Milwaukee, one of my friends took his '62 Caddy
convertible to Earl Shrieb(?) for a cheap paint job. The smart guys there, to avoid getting paint on the side windows, actually rolled them down. That worked great, unfortunately, Jim's car now had red leather seats with white painted accents. headbang.gif
TravisNeff
Looks great from the photos, but of course we will need to see more of them! Mo' pics, Mo' pics.

Sounds like a deal at $500 bucks and 5 days.
MarkG
Had a friend who spent some time in the Porsche restoration/paint business, always said any idiot can learn how to spray a car, its the prep work that makes the difference.

When the time comes to do mine, I will strip it and do as much prep work as possible and then tow it in, maybe not Maaco, but not the top end either....did this with my 911, I supplied the Dupont 2 stage paint, paid cash ($500) and got a fine - but not excellent- paint job.

Going to paint my 914 1950's -'60's era Ferrari red (deeper red than todays orange/red F cars).
Root_Werks
Maaco CAN be good, but it is all in the prep work and instructions. They have done well by me 90% of the time. But I usually give them stripped 914's (lights, handles, glass, rubber all removed) ready to just paint. They finish sand, prime and paint for me. I have gotten to know my local guy well, so he doesn't cut me deals, but will spend a little extra time to make sure the job turns out well. wink.gif
sjhowitson
Looks good more pic please beerchug.gif
bd1308
same thing with my body guy. I know him real well (father of one of my close friends) so he'll even put the car on a lift and check for rust and everything for me...( he knows about the hell hole too). and he does it with high priority....took 2 weeks to sort out my wreck in January. Knowing people gets you far my friends.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.