Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: floor pan coating?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
Hi Guys,

My (factory) floor pans are a dull gray in color. Where I've wire wheeled to remove the seam sealer, they're bright and shiny (of course). The gray doesn't look like primer. More like a factory coating of some kind. Maybe part of the galvanizing process? Just wondering what gives the pans their gray color...and whether I should leave it intact or wire wheel everything down to shiny before applying my epoxy primer.

Thanks!
iankarr
Here's a picClick to view attachment
Andyrew
Floors are not galvanized, your looking at raw steel!
scotty b
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 18 2016, 09:56 AM) *

Floors are not galvanized, your looking at raw steel!

I believe he's referring to the paint on top of the bare steel, prior to the floor tar.

Yes, it is factory. I have always assumed it was either a grey electrostatic, (similar process to powder coating ) or an epoxy type paint. It seems to be thicker and more durable than typical exterior paint.
iankarr
Exactly. At first I thought the dull gray was the patina of 43 year old steel, but after wire wheeling it seems that it's a layer of some kind. My main question is whether or not I need to remove that dull gray layer before primer. Thanks!
scotty b
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Jan 18 2016, 12:46 PM) *

Exactly. At first I thought the dull gray was the patina of 43 year old steel, but after wire wheeling it seems that it's a layer of some kind. My main question is whether or not I need to remove that dull gray layer before primer. Thanks!

No. Get the floor tar off. Clean up the residue with some mineral spirits or lacquer thinner, take care of any surface rust spots, then just scuff the grey with 240 - 320 grit sand paper
rick 918-S
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 18 2016, 03:24 PM) *

QUOTE(cuddyk @ Jan 18 2016, 12:46 PM) *

No. Get the floor tar off. Clean up the residue with some mineral spirits or lacquer thinner, take care of any surface rust spots, then just scuff the grey with 240 - 320 grit sand paper

agree.gif
iankarr
Will do. Thanks so much!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.