Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 Hub / Stub Axle fitment verification, please?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tygaboy
I have these: 108 mm CV 911 hubs/stub axles. These use the 4 bolt, 2 roll pin CV. I plan to tap them and run 6 bolt.

Looking to verify that to fit them in the 914 trailing arm, all I need are the spacers from Patrick Motorsports. (Yes, and the bearing, funny guy...)

This is for my v8 conversion running a Boxster S trans so it'll have custom axles.

Thanks for the help.

Chris
tygaboy
Is this all I need?
Series9
Yes. That's all you need.
Bruce Hinds
I don't know about the stuff you need, but don't replace the drive pins with bolts. Bolts won't hold the sheer force.

I've not seen it written here, but even high power aircraft use drive pins because just bolts are not sufficient.
tygaboy
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Jan 17 2016, 04:26 PM) *

I don't know about the stuff you need, but don't replace the drive pins with bolts. Bolts won't hold the sheer force.

I've not seen it written here, but even high power aircraft use drive pins because just bolts are not sufficient.

Wow, thanks for the quick info, Bruce and Joe.
Interesting, too. I was told by a reputable guy that folks regularly lose the roll pins. Maybe I misunderstood but I thought all the late 911s run 6 bolts. Maybe newer ain't always better...?
Cracker
Chris - You only need the "Inner" spacer. Why custom axles? Late model Carrera work just fine (with a 1/2" spacer on the drive flange). You're making this more difficult than necessary. The outer CV is "built in" on the Carrera axles. No need to deal with the "roll pin" issue... Just sayin.

Tony
Series9
Respectfully:

Bolts do hold the shear force, and they do it under tension.

If the 914/4 4-bolt/drive pin arrangement was structurally superior, that arrangement would exist on a 930/911/951/986/996/996TT, etc. However, It does not.

VW set up that arrangement to save money because they were only dealing with 100 hp. If you look at it, the drive pins are thinner than the hardened bolts (in total area). Without the pins being pressed-in on both sides, they create a weak link at that mechanical junction.
Series9
My 3.6L 300hp 914 has 911SC hubs with the spacers you've shown. They are connected to 1987 G50 axles attached to a 1984 915 Wevo limited-slip transaxle.

There are no drive pins. Each CV has 6 bolts.
Series9
Here's how weak the 6-bolt arrangement is: smile.gif

http://vid23.photobucket.com/albums/b370/s...e/RSburnout.mp4
Series9
Here's how weak the 6-bolt arrangement is: smile.gif

http://vid23.photobucket.com/albums/b370/s...e/RSburnout.mp4
sixnotfour
that all looks pre 74...you don't need a spacer.
BIGKAT_83
agree.gif

No spacer need for the early hubs and stubs.
bdstone914
agree.gif
jmill
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jan 17 2016, 07:44 PM) *

No spacer need for the early hubs and stubs.

Thanks for clearing that up. I have early hubs and stubs and sway away axles in a box and didn't think I needed a spacer when I install them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.