Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5 lug conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
max72914
Hi everyone,
Just got a question about 5 lug conversions. I know they're frowned upon, but I am looking at buying the 4 to 5 lug adapters. I understand that they're the worst but cheapest option, so I would just use them until I can afford other options(I'm 16, so the other options aren't in my budget). I am most likely going to buy cookie cutters, and I am just wondering if I can fit them under the fender even with the 2" adapters? And if anyone has had any experiences with their 5 lug conversion or any tips any advice would be awesome. Thanks! Max
falcor75
http://matsgarage.com/?p=825

Here's some pics of my car with 7x15" Cookies and 195/55-15 tires. It fits but there isnt a whole lot of room left out to the wheelarch in the rear.

I'm using redrilled and studded rear hubs with a 914-6 brake disc.
mepstein
2" adapters and 6" cookies on a narrow body car. Probably not. Think about it. If a 5 1/2" - 6 " wheel is the max with a 195-205 tire, where is the extra 2" that the spacer will use going to come from?
Mark Henry
Right now I have cookies with 205/50-15 on 911 hubs and '74 narrow body.
Absolutely no way will they fit on the rear with adaptors.
Series9
agree.gif
jmill
Just get re-drilled front rotors and hubs from Eric. They aren't that expensive.

http://www.pmbperformance.com/teener.html
jd74914
Having been 16 with a 914 once and wanting 5 lugs then (just getting to it now at 28 laugh.gif ), I would advise waiting. You might as well save until you can do it correctly with either the re-drilled rotors/hubs (cheapest) or 911 struts.
Spoke
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jan 18 2016, 10:29 AM) *

I would advise waiting.

agree.gif

Do your due diligence and look for a great deal on a 911 front end. They happen from time to time. You have the rest of your life to do things half-assed. Don't start now.

Look on here and Pelican for a 911 front end. I found someone close to me selling an entire suspension setup from a '74 911 for $150. This included the entire front end including steering rack, and rear end including 911 rear hubs that I sold for $150.
Bruce Hinds
agree.gif too! Adapters on stock wheels won't fit unless you go to later model wheels with a different offset.

What's your goal besides 5 lug? If it's just nicer wheels and more tire there are other inexpensive options too.
max72914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 18 2016, 08:16 AM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jan 18 2016, 10:29 AM) *

I would advise waiting.

agree.gif

Do your due diligence and look for a great deal on a 911 front end. They happen from time to time. You have the rest of your life to do things half-assed. Don't start now.

Look on here and Pelican for a 911 front end. I found someone close to me selling an entire suspension setup from a '74 911 for $150. This included the entire front end including steering rack, and rear end including 911 rear hubs that I sold for $150.

Ok, thats what ill do. Thanks everybody for your input its very much appreciated. I can handle the steels for now.
jd74914
If you find a good deal on the wheels you want (or conversion parts) definitely jump on them because in general parts are only getting more expensive. smile.gif
colingreene
Why do you want a 5 lug wheel
Im sure the car has other things that need attended to long before you swap the wheels
Mark Henry
QUOTE(colingreene @ Jan 19 2016, 12:11 PM) *

Im sure the car has other things that need attended to long before you swap the wheels

16 years old (low budget + bolt on ease) = bling rims
RJMII
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 19 2016, 10:25 AM) *

agree.gif
High offset tuner wheels... 4x130 (?) to 4x100 would net a rather large array of options as opposed to the 4 to 5 adapters; and there would be more structural integrity from the billet aluminum and studs going that route.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(RJMII @ Jan 19 2016, 01:34 PM) *

agree.gif
High offset tuner wheels... 4x130 (?) to 4x100 would net a rather large array of options as opposed to the 4 to 5 adapters; and there would be more structural integrity from the billet aluminum and studs going that route.

Hard to do the 4X100 bolt pattern on 914 hubs, it was examined on here in the early days of 914world.
Dave_Darling
I believe that Mueller did that. Since both are 4-bolt patterns, you can just offset them by 45 degrees and it seems to work pretty well that way.

I personally wouldn't do it because my local PCA has rules against autoXing on that kind of setup, and I'd like to run with them again...

--DD
Mueller
No problems on the front doing the redrilled pattern, the rear turned into a pain, the new smaller pattern didn't leave enough material for the brake rotor due to the large diameter hole.

Or something like that, it was a long time ago. I did the 4x100mm pattern.

Dave, so our region doesn't like the redrilled rotors and hubs? What about 5x130 pattern?
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 19 2016, 04:09 PM) *
Dave, so our region doesn't like the redrilled rotors and hubs? What about 5x130 pattern?

It's the adapters, not the re-drilled stuff. Adapters that "change the bolt pattern" are specifically disallowed. Or were, the last time I checked. (It has been a while though.)

--DD
Chris914n6
QUOTE(RJMII @ Jan 19 2016, 11:34 AM) *

agree.gif

4 x 4 1/2 would be a better option. Same wheel selection but more (asian) cars use it. I think you can get adapters at 1.25" thick instead of the fat 2". Still adding about inch to the outside. Ok for the front but will need to pull the rear fenders out.

That being said, if you really are on a tight budget save the moola for repairs or things to make it a better driver.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.