Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My tie down prototype and jig
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
I have the first one done and made a jig off it so I can duplicate the shape. It is in 1/4 in steele and I popped out about 20 in 3/16 using the jig. I am punching the shock hole at 11/16 and finish drilling it to a 18 metric bolt. The big end is like two 55/64 holes punched and conected.I can do these unpainted or painted just need to figure out price. I am having a blast making these. biggrin.gif
Jeroen
nice job!
keep us posted when you're ready to sell
spare time toys
Had a big day today I nocked out a bunch of these. Im thinking $15 + shipping for a pair. You will need to paint them. Im trying to get a small powder coater but dont have it yet. I have 10 sets available the rest are promised.
spare time toys
here is the test fit
spare time toys
First set is going to Florida Thanks Synthesisdv wavey.gif 9 more to go
joea9146
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Mar 18 2005, 07:56 PM)
Had a big day today I nocked out a bunch of these. Im thinking $15 + shipping for a pair. You will need to paint them. Im trying to get a small powder coater but dont have it yet. I have 10 sets available the rest are promised.

What they made out of ? How thicjk are they ?
spare time toys
QUOTE (joea9146 @ Mar 18 2005, 10:03 PM)

What they made out of ? How thicjk are they ?

I made them out of some 3/16 thick plate steel we had laying around. As far as what the number it is confused24.gif But we use it on tugs and other heavy duty stuff at work. I did do a set out of 1/4 inch that are going on the German8tor but I need longer shock bolts for those
xsboost90
hmmm.. idea.gif
spare time toys
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ Mar 19 2005, 12:30 AM)
hmmm.. idea.gif

Yesssss......... Hmmmmm indeed cool_shades.gif cool_shades.gif 2 sets gone rocking nana.gif They look like the ones I saw for a 924 but those had a notch by the bolt hole for some reason.
machina
hey larry,

hows about figuring something out for the front points. Its a bitch getting my straps on there.
spare time toys
Im working on that. But itll take a little longer than these.
John
Those are nice, but they tend to pull the rear trailing arms out of align over time. They can actually bend the outer trailing arm mount cup. (Ask me how I know).

We had those on our car for about 10 years and worked well, but they do put unwanted pressure on the rear suspension.

I now have made new tie-downs that mount where the rear sway bar used to be. We don't run a rear bar on the track.

As far as fronts go, we used almost the same shape plate only with a smaller mount hole. These bolt on one of the front torsion bar mount bolts. They have always worked well.

Good luck to you.

BTW, my original tie-downs were 8 GA. Steel.
John
Here is a pic of our old rear tie-downs from a couple years ago.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.