Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carb'd 1.8's performance?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914ghost
Okay, I have a serious question-
I bought my 70' 2.5yrs ago, it was neglected but decent. I've done bunch of work and made it an awesome roadgoing car- like most of us.
The engine has a 1.8 serial #, and 1.8 heads (4 stud), I've got a great set of 40DRLA's, sounds like the engine is slightly cammed, and a monzal 2 muffler exhaust.
My question is- how's everyone else's performance on similar cars?
the thing isn't like a rocket, but I have 140lb springs in back and it'll pull down HARD in all gears if I gas it just putting around.
Also, I've never been brave enough to find the top end of 5th gear. I can ride 4th all the way up to about 95mph, which is just about 6k, then hit 5th and the engine pulls HARD and keeps going.
Is it likely there's a 2.0 lower end in there? I have no reason to pull it apart and I've driven a couple other 1.8L 914's and a 2.0 but not recently and they all drove allright, but not like mine.
Just want to know comparisons of what you guys have found..
Bob O
JoeSharp
Bob: I have a 75 1.8 with twin single Solex 40's. It has plenty of power, I use for a driver. The only thing I did other than carbs was dist. I had an old 010 left over from buggies. Aaron and Brando both drove the car today maybe they will chime in.
biggrin.gif Joe
SirAndy
QUOTE (914ghost @ Mar 17 2005, 06:04 PM)
Is it likely there's a 2.0 lower end in there?

nope. my 1.8L D-Jet ran strong as well. there's a lot you can do with 80HP ...

any 1.7/1.8 can be driven fast, it all depends on the driver!
rolleyes.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.