Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine is slooowly coming together
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
Finally remembered to bring the camera to take a picture of the shortblock. or the mid-block. It's not quite a long block yet.

Cylinder heads are getting new studs, valves, and valve springs. Cams are on order.

Nice and shiny 98mm J&E Pistons and cylinders.

Regards,
Aaron Cox
thas purdy

way cool....thanx for the pics
Lawrence
Someday I'll get to do my own engine, too.

It doesn't really *need* it now... but it sure would be fun. smile.gif
Aaron Cox
is one able to do a 911 engine with common hand tools? lika a type IV? or is it lots harder than that?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(acox914 @ Jun 13 2003, 02:02 PM)
is one able to do a 911 engine with common hand tools? lika a type IV? or is it lots harder than that?

One needs some special tools for setting up the cams, you can make homemade tools but you will also need a dial indicator.
elmonte
Looks real nice Karl What kind of compression ratio ? cams? intake?
Qarl
I didn't mean to mislead people. I'm not building the engine.

Harro Zitza from Zotz Racing here in Winter Park, Florida is building it. He's in his late sixties maybe 70 or so. Been building and racing Porsches for 40+ years.

These are the specs.

1979 3.0L SC core - disassembled - magnafluxed, polished, crank and rods, blah blah

Early SC heads with the larger intakes and single plugs - new valves, springs, guides, etc.

98mm J&E Pistons & Cylinders 9.8:1 CR optimized for carbs with deeper valve recesses

Elgin Modified S cams (not quite as peaky, but the displacement will help smoothe out some of the peakiness anyways)

Electromotive Distributorless Ignition

New Oil Cooler

3.6L Carrera Oil Pump

46mm Weber IDA carbs

Kennedy Performance 9" Clutch Package flywheel, and Stage II pressure plate...

It will be a 3.2L short stroke when finished.

Should put out 250-260 ponies.... MDB2.gif

Moowaahahaaaa
Mueller
acox914 Posted on Jun 13 2003, 03:02 PM
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Vise-grips and a hammer is all that is needed smash.gif

Wayne @ Pelican wrote a nice book on rebuilding the 911 engine...good reading...of course Bruce Andersons 911 Performance Handbook is a must if you ever consider a 911 or just a 911 engine.........
ChrisReale
Karl, I know yo said it is for a street car, but if you dont AX it, Im gonna take it personally! Seriously, that would be a blast to take through some cones MDB2.gif
elmonte
If your the one with the money and the one who says
what going in it then your the one building the motor biggrin.gif
maf914
Karl,

I don't know much about 911 parts, but who makes the cylinders which you indicate as J&E? Or are these Porsche cylinders with J&E pistons? Just curious because I thought the number or sources for Nickasil or Alumisil cylinders was very limited.

Mike
Qarl
The cylinders are from EBS racing (pistons too). I think the cost is like $950 for a set of cylinders on exchange. Or you have to pay a core fee. They are not new... but redone and new Nikasil applied.

Pistons are new.

www.ebsracing.com
914Timo
Wow, looks good. clap56.gif

Dont forget to take camera with you next time you visit there. At least I would like to see more pics and heard the latest news. Your engine (and the hole car) will be really nice and interesting.

About those pistons and cylinders, did the $950 includec the pistons also ?? If not, may I ask how much they were ??

I just asked from Andial how much the real new Mahle big bore kit is. Pete Sanchez was very nice and told me the price for a set of the 3.2 from 3.0 pistons and cylinders is $3547. blink.gif
Qarl
It's not that much cheaper at EBS Racing.

I think everything ran under $3K (Pistons and Clyinders)... don't have the order in front of me... but not cheap!
914Timo
OK, it was cylinders only. Many thanks about the info.
Qarl
Long block is almost done.

Just waiting to install the rocker arms...

I pick up the fan and fan shroud from the powder coater tomorrow (along with headlight buckets, and pedal cluster pieces).

Carbon Fiber shroud and watershields should be here tomorrow or Monday and then the rest of the engine can come together...
Qarl
Tensioner and cam sprockets... Elgin S-cams have been timed. (Pretty much the same grind as the GE60).
ChrisReale
Way cool Karl. The time is getting closer and closer. Bet you cant wait to plant your ass in the seat and fire it up for the first time! beerchug.gif
Dave Cawdrey
OMG!!

smilie_pokal.gif
Brad Roberts
Nice.. No HYD. tensioners.

Looks great Karl. You done good..

I could have gotten you some slack on the P+C's.. I'm pretty tight with Don and the group at EBS.

B
sixerdon
Carl,
What's the reason for not using Carrera Chain Tensioners?
Don
Qarl
The mechanical tensioners are just as reliable as the pressure-fed ones. They just need to be adjusted at around the same intervals as the valves. They tend to be a bit noisier at startup but then tighten up after the engine warms up and expands.

Ask any racer about mechanical vs. hydraulic and you will get your answer. The majority of the mechanical failures is because of the old Ronco train of thought... "set it and forget it".
rhodyguy
and geoff thought the westin was too pricey. what is your plan for the exhaust? header or he..'s.? we should zip down and you should talk to dave ellison when you are here. 1 hour +or- from seattle.

kevin
Qarl
1 5/8" European Racing Headers from George Narbel in Nevada are on their way. Then off to Jet Hot for coating...

My finished engine should loke something along the lines of... but the carbs won't be as "bling bling" as the new PMOs on this guy's engine...
Qarl
Carbon Fiber Shroud...
JWest
Why aren't you using SSIs from Brad? idea.gif Oh... that's right... he's into Ferraris and doesn't have time for HEs for 914/6s wink.gif blink.gif huh.gif wavey.gif
campbellcj
QUOTE(kellzey @ Jul 25 2003, 08:31 AM)
1 5/8" European Racing Headers from George Narbel in Nevada are on their way.  Then off to Jet Hot for coating...

My finished engine should loke something along the lines of... but the carbs won't be as "bling bling" as the new PMOs on this guy's engine...

You coulda asked George to ship directly to Jet-Hot in Tempe AZ. I had GPR do that with my headers and they were at my door in a week, coated.

I know that JW (Otto) is not a big fan of the pressure-fed tensioners on race motors. I believe he runs regular hydraulic tensioners with stops. Plus, obviously race motors are pulled and inspected/serviced very frequently compared to typical street powerplants. I don't know if you can use stops with the Carrera ones; so, even though they don't fail very often -- they DO fail sometimes -- and they go completely slack.

I have also heard of issues with the PMO's from the racer crowd. They are a great product, but not quite as well "sorted" as the tried-n-true Webers, yet. I'm sticking with Webers for now and maybe in the future will jump to a Tec-III setup or something.
Brad Roberts
Yes Karl.. please put the locks on your tensioners just for 100% peace of mind.

Karl.. who did you end up buying the shroud from ?? I need to get one for customers conversion car (3.0) I know Getty seels them.. but I would like to at least do some shopping for one.

B
Brad Roberts
Oh.. can Chris or Karl PLEASE post Georges contact info.. several people have asked me for it and I have to dig out paperwork everytime (can't seam to get his info in the computer)

B
campbellcj
George Narbel
European Racing Headers
1010 N. Stephanie St.
Unit C-7
Henderson, NV 89014
(702) 433-9189

No email, web site, or credit cards AFAIK...
Brad Roberts
Thanks Chris.. I'm going to put him on the "Vendors page"

B
Mike D.
QUOTE(kellzey @ Jul 25 2003, 04:45 AM)
The mechanical tensioners are just as reliable as the pressure-fed ones. They just need to be adjusted at around the same intervals as the valves.

Isn't it a PITA to get to them with engine in the car? The front cooling tin runs right across the front of the chain cover plate.

-Mike D.
Qarl
Get the shroud from AIR (American International Racing)

A 911 internet friend of mine... bought the shroud from GT Racing, one other outfit, and from AIR.

He returned the GT racing and the other shroud because the quality was crap.

The shroud is about $600 for five pieces... (main engine shroud, oil cooler cover, 2 block offs, and the fifth piece which escapes me because I am tired).

Here is the guy who can make you carbon fiber watershields for your K&N.

carbonjoe@attbi.com
Brad Roberts
We already buy from carbon Joe.. thanks !!

B
ein 6er
karl, i'd love to see your grin after your first drive!!

is carbon joe making the watershields again?!? has anybody been in contact with him??

doug
Qarl
Joe is SLOOOOW to respond, but he's making the watershields again. He's vacuum backing them new which pulls the resin through the CF better.

I think they are $125 a pair including shipping.

Regards,

Karl
Brad Roberts
bagging... vacuum bagging them. Not trying to correct you.. just letting people know the process.

RogerS does this with all his fiberglass components. It makes them much much stronger (no air gaps..which is typically where it would crack when under stress)

B
Qarl
The fan and fan shroud came back from the powder coater.

Too bad the shiny shroud will face the firewall and no one will see it sad.gif
Jeroen
Looking gooooooood!
If you're making the "latch" in the firewall for the fanbelt replacement/adjustment access, make it out of lexan biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
seanery
Karl,

I polished my fan and then Alex said, "what are you doing that for" I says "so it'll look good" and he says "yeah, but who's gonna see it" I says "oh, I will until we install it" DOH.

It looks nice, and I would do it again!

Very nice Job!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.