Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: where to take my 914 in the bay area?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeeperjohn56
okay guys I need work done on my 914, before WCR and sense Mark has moved to Grand Rapids I need a shop to go to. who knows of a place or person that knows our cars. idea.gif
JeffBowlsby
Whachaneed John?

Welding/Body/Paint?
Electrical?
Engine/Trans?
Upholstery?
Brakes/suspension?
Engine tuning?

...?
JimN73
John, there's a shop in Concord called Deutsche MotorSport, near Buchanan Field. He works on air-cooled cars primarily 356s

http://www.deutschemotorsport.blogspot.com/
jeeperjohn56
I need new rear shocks installed and basic tune- up. don't know what shocks to get. don't want to stiff, and comfort ride.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(jeeperjohn56 @ Jan 19 2016, 05:16 PM) *

I need new rear shocks installed and basic tune- up. don't know what shocks to get. don't want to stiff, and comfort ride.

This guy knows everything about 911's and 914's. He did my 3.0L head studs in one day before the WCR in Monterey a few years back.

PBR Restorations

Pete is the man!
McMark
Get Bilsteins. I can install them at WCR. biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
John - Just an FYI, I went to Deutsche Motorsports at Buchanan Field (essentially) back in March of 2010 and until he heard I had an original Six he refused to even discuss any work with me. Once he heard original Six he was willing to work on the car. So just a heads-up. BTW, he had some ice 911 and 356's in the shop as well as several 911 motors in various stages of rebuild. Look like nice work.

I would also just give Eric at PMB a call for shocks suggestions. I went with Bilstein sports and 140 pound springs for my car. Of course it is still in pieces so I can't comment on how it rides. I also went with Elephant Racing rubber bushings all around to keep the car comfortable and keep it from dislodging my kidneys when I drive it.

To round out the package I have stock new torsion bars, stock (later model) sway bars front and rear, turbo tie rods and Scotty raised my spindles, as permitted, to lower my Six a bit and still allow my deep six Fuchs, which are now 7", with the extra 1" widened to the rear since we have room and I did not want to change the appearance of the deep six. This should clear everything.

My whole approach was to control the car from bouncing and swaying and keep it from being stiff and jarring. Hence the all rubber Elephant Racing bushings. I am likely going to hunt for a tire that is 215/225 x 60 x 15 to allow a little sidewall flex for comfort. Depending upon looks I may even be talked into a 65 sidewall. Hard to say until I see them. I will likely also shoot for a summer sport/touring tire instead of a all sport tire. I am open to logical discussion on this one though.

I truly am trying to build a nice comfortable cruiser that I will enjoy taking to Monterey, Carmel, Half Moon Bay, Lake Tahoe in the summer, and jus generally all around town where we live.

Best wishes as always. Hope to see you again,
Michael

Chris Pincetich
A bunch of us local SF Bay folks chimed in to this thread just a few weeks ago. We all miss McMark!! sad.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...84&hl=eason
ConeDodger
confused24.gif I'm still going with Original Customs... He has my 915 transmission there right now, flipping the R&P and installing the TB unit. And getting it ready for its new home in the 914. evilgrin.gif
Dominic
QUOTE(jeeperjohn56 @ Jan 19 2016, 05:16 PM) *

John,
If you can get the car to me in Vacaville, I can take care of all that for you.

Dominic
Tom_T
You can also try Rich Bontempi at HPH - High Performance House in Redwood City - a long time 914 guy/shop like Krusty & Brad Mayeur old timers, with a 2 story warehouse full of NOS & parted 914 parts.

He's in the book/google!

BTW - either the Bilsteins or Konis would be your best bet on shocks/inserts. I prefer the Koni classic reds, but they're all great from Bil. or Koni. KYB not so good but cheaper, & Boge/Sachs are better than KYB.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
jeeperjohn56
when you get the bilstiens from Eric, do you have get springs from someone else?Or do you use part of your old set up. It looks like you only get shock and top hardware.
Sea Dragon 914
John,

Do you want to learn how to do it? Rear shocks are easy once you decide what you want. My favorite all around shocks where the Koni Adjustable Red. They were softer than the yellows but similarly adjustable. I ran them at Laguna Seca on my LE when I dropped a valve seat on my track car and if I remember correctly I was running pretty close track times (I was running Improved which required the car to be very stock except minor mods to the suspension and the use of R compound tires). Unfortunately, they don't make those shocks anymore.

Anyway, if you are interested in installing the shocks yourself, PM me and I can help you out. If you just need to do a basic tune-up, I can help you with that as well.

Richard

QUOTE(jeeperjohn56 @ Jan 20 2016, 08:37 PM) *

when you get the bilstiens from Eric, do you have get springs from someone else?Or do you use part of your old set up. It looks like you only get shock and top hardware.

Justinp71
QUOTE(JimN73 @ Jan 19 2016, 04:57 PM) *

John, there's a shop in Concord called Deutsche MotorSport, near Buchanan Field. He works on air-cooled cars primarily 356s

http://www.deutschemotorsport.blogspot.com/

Funny I worked here back in high school for a summer (over 15 years ago). We worked primarily on 911's and 356's. They will probably not be the cheapest place, but they are known for doing things right. Looks like it is still the same owner.
Randal
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 19 2016, 07:44 PM) *

Get Bilsteins. I can install them at WCR. biggrin.gif

I'll recommend you take him up on that offer.

Mark changed my motor mount at the last big Medford 914 get together. I had broken one during the autox and couldn't shift the car. Cost me the event by about .100 to Britain, but Mark changed it (actually a borrowed one) and I ran the Enduro in the PM and managed first place.

If you just need a tune up, have Mark fly out a day early and do it!

Alternative is Rich Bontempi at High Performance House in Redwood City.
Mueller
At the risk of getting my @$$ beat by my wife, I might be able to help out.

You'd have to source all the parts 1st.
Cairo94507
John - Eric has everything you could need, in addition to terrific advise. As much as you want or just shocks. Talk to him if you like. Plenty of guys here with tons of experience who can do the work too. I do not recall if I bought my springs from Eric, I don't think so. But I am sure if he does not have springs, he can make a referral. I try to always support the guys who support us.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.