Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Timing Marks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LukeD
I pulled off the front of my engine today to clean the crap out of everything. Before I pulled the fan and the large cooling duct piece I turned the fan until the timing mark lined up with the notch. After pulling the fan I noticed I have 2 marks a few inches apart, which one is TDC? Also, after lining them up I pulled the cap and noticed that the rotor was pointing to the #4 spot on the cap? This engine has definately been pulled apart, so is this right? Does the fan only bolt on one way? (i forgot to check) I am planning on adjusting the valves with the motor out, just want to make sure everything is setup the way it should be.

Luke D
Rhodes71/914
The fan only goes on one way.

As you are looking at the front of the engine the mark furthest to the left should be TDC, the other mark should be your timing mark.

If the rotot is pointing at #4 one the cap and the mark says TDC something is wierd.
TheCabinetmaker
The distributor drive gear is off by a cog or two.
LukeD
How do I fix it?!, can I adjust the valves with the marks off like that?

Now I am worried

Luke D
TheCabinetmaker
Page 64 in the Haynes manual shows the proper position for the diz drive gear. You do have a Haynes manual, right?
LukeD
Yes, thank you LOL

Luke D
TheCabinetmaker
Make absoluty sure your on TDC for #1 (both valves closed), and index drive gear to that position. There is a washer on the bottom of the gear that you are not susposed to drop thru the hole in bottom of the shaft, but I just can't see how that 13 mm washer is gonna fit thru that 8mm hole.
LukeD
Damn, it's funny because I am always telling people to RTFM (read the f'n manual), so I just pull out the drive gear and move it over a few notches? The hayes manual sort of takes the assumption that I have atleast a basic knowledge of an engine, alas this is about as far as I have ever dug into an engine on my own. Now I am just wondering why I am pooring money into an engine that doesn't apear to have been put together properly in the first place. Hope it starts up when I get it back together. Doh!

LOL

Luke D
Rhodes71/914
Did it run before you started taking it apart? Must have been fun timing it with the dizzy off like that.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Rhodes71/914 @ Mar 17 2005, 10:55 PM)
Did it run before you started taking it apart? Must have been fun timing it with the dizzy off like that.

doesnt the crank turn 720 degrees by the time the dizzy does 360? flip it another 360 and wouldnt it land on TDC #1? wacko.gif

am i right? or just an idjit
LukeD
Yes, the car ran real strong but leaky and greasy as hell. Figured it was a good time to drop the engine and replace some seals along with a good tear down and cleaning. I have cleaned everything and will be re-assembling tomorrrow. Just want to sort out the timing marks/dizzy before I get it back in the car. Relacing the pushrod tube seals in tomorrw and figured I could adjust the valves without laying on my back and killing my neck also.

Aaron, thanks for the tip. I will try that in the morning before I head to the part store for some misc odds and ends.

Is pulling the dizzy and gear as intimidating as it looks? :-)

Thanks

Luke D
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 18 2005, 12:56 AM)
doesnt the crank turn 720 degrees by the time the dizzy does 360? flip it another 360 and wouldnt it land on TDC #1? wacko.gif

am i right? or just an idjit

you are right - if you have a /6, where Z1 is the same as TDC #4.

if you were off by 180 (cam degrees - 360 crankshaft degrees) it'd be TDC #3 (on a /4)
Dave_Darling
Some fans have more than one mark on them. Some have a "0" mark at TDC. Some just have one timing mark, be it 7.5 BTDC (for 1.8s) or 27 BTDC (for 1.7s or 2.0s). Some have mulitple marks.

Verify yours by looking at the flywheel. Use mirrors to see or just use your fingers to feel the edge of the flywheel in the notch at the top of the transmission bellhousing. There should be a notch along the whole edge of the flywheel that is in the bellhousing notch when the engine is at TDC #1 or TDC #3. (The notch will be visible in the bottom notch at TDC#2 or #4.)

Verify TDC#1 by checking the rocker arms on #1; are they both loose?

You can remove the distributor drive shaft with a pair of circlip pliers (the "squeeze to spread the clip" type), or with a special tool. Or a wooden chopstick, sometimes. Once you fish the spring out of the top of the driveshaft, you can shove a dowel (or chopstick) into the recess in the driveshaft, and sometimes it sticks well enough for you to pull and twist the driveshaft out.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.