Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: reading up before starting a 356 SC restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thieuster
As I've written before, I'm financially involved in a classic car workshop with about 120 (annual & returning) customers. Most cars the guys at the shop tackle are British cars. Two years ago, there was a Volvo 1800 S that needed a total restoration, last year a classic Morgan (pleonasm!). Currently, the shop is filled with two classics from one owner. Both cars need bodywork TLC and there's an XJS that's being rebuilt.

Last Saturday, a father and son found their way to the shop with the message that they were on the hunt for a 356SC. They'd found one and had a total restoration in mind.

We don't mention figures on ground of a bunch of pics on a cell phone... But the idea has caught us and we're trying figure out all ins and outs about restoring a 356. Remember, the guys at the shop are professionals and not afraid of anything. But it's always good to know as much as possible before they start.

Can you point me towards blogs, websites, bunches of pics etc about restoring a 356, especially the SC.

The potential clients need to sort out several issues with import duties and license plates before the car is wheeled in. There's always a possibility that the deal bounces off when the import duty etc is too complicated However, when it arrives, I will post it here.

But most importantly is background info! So if you happen to have something...

Menno
McMark
Compared to the 914 crowd, the 356 restorers (professional or hobby) post almost no pictures. Searching for references for my 64 project was a constant battle. There are some good books out there and the PET is helpful. But actually going to 356 events and looking at cars yourself is probably the best reference you'll have.
r_towle
356registry.com

Willhoit has pics also

scotty b
http://www.amazon.com/356-Porsche-Restorer...y/dp/0929758161

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/142690718...691B14H57ZJ8A1K

I've done several. More rust than a 914, easier ( for the most part) to repair than a 914. Put it on a chassis jig if you have one. Floor pans CAN be done in one piece without removing the center tunnel, but require some fiddling and cursing. Battery boxes and front of the trunk should be completely sandblasted even if the rest of the car isn't. They can be pretty thin without showing obvious signs of it. Damn near every one I've worked on had been hit in the front and rear so check those for thick bondo

PM me if you need specific pics. I may/probably have what you need, if not I have a couple local customers cars I can go get pics from
thieuster
Thanks gentlemen, your information is a great kick off. But remember that the potential customer hasn't bought the car yet. Off to Amazon now! We need to 'guesstimate' our costs as well.

Menno
McMark
QUOTE(thieuster @ Jan 20 2016, 09:01 AM) *

Thanks gentlemen, your information is a great kick off. But remember that the potential customer hasn't bought the car yet. Off to Amazon now! We need to 'guesstimate' our costs as well.

Menno

And then add 150% av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.