Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cr@$p Rear wheels fit but fronts dont ???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grantsfo
I wasnt expecting this one! So I got the American Racing wheels to fit with fender clearence in back. All proud of myself I proceeded to pull the front wheels off and picked up the American wheel and the hole that goes over the hub is a little too small. I cant get them to fit now as they wont fit over that little flange on the hub. I'm sure that these wheels will work. Whats the solution? Is there some place in the sf bay area where I can bring them to have the center whole that mounts onto the hub bored out? or do you use a spacer (which would mean longer lug bolts) ? Has anyone else run into this problem? I'm starting to think I should just boot these rims and get some of those revolution wheels.
Joe Bob
Machine them off...
Trekkor
Two of my Pedrini's and two of my Western's have been machined to fit the front hub.

It just takes a little cutting of the inner wheel surface to clear. Inverted cone shape does it.

Maybe it could be done at a local machine shop with the tires still on?

I *might* go take a pic.

KT
Trekkor
If you have this done, take note that your new Yok's are directional. Set aside a left and a right wink.gif

KT
Trekkor
got it w00t.gif

KT
grantsfo
Ok so its machine shop shopping I go. Damn I wanted to run these at Marina. Guess I'll have to stick with the sloppy Falkens on those little 5.5 wheels if I go this weekend.

Thanks for the picture. I dont think I have as much to cut away.

Joe Bob
Got a belt sander and some HEAVY grit?
idea.gif
Trekkor
Don't give up so quick, Grant. smile.gif
It should be a easy job for the shop.
Mike's advice is actually not a bad idea if you mark the inner surface and do your best to cut uniformly. Maybe use the Dremel?

You may want to have to wheels balanced again when you are done.

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE (mikez @ Mar 17 2005, 08:08 PM)
Got a belt sander and some HEAVY grit?
idea.gif

I'm tool and workshop challenged. I live in the mountains and my garage is a temporary shelter over a gravel driveway with no power. Not the best setup for a 914 guy I know. I was looking on the web for a cone shaped grinder after I saw the picture from Trekkor.

I do well just keeping rodents out of the car. biggrin.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE (trekkor @ Mar 17 2005, 08:14 PM)
Don't give up so quick, Grant. smile.gif
It should be a easy job for the shop.
Mike's advice is actually not a bad idea if you mark the inner surface and do your best to cut uniformly. Maybe use the Dremel?

You may want to have to wheels balanced again when you are done.

KT

I have a dremel. ...This could be fun! Oh yeah forgot to mention. The wheel/tire setup is over 2 lbs lighter per wheel than my stock setup nice little bonus I didnt think of.
Trekkor
How about a cheap angle grinder with metal grinding wheel? Put the wheel on a "lazy Susan".

I'm thing maybe 10 minutes, max, per wheel.

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE (trekkor @ Mar 17 2005, 08:26 PM)
How about a cheap angle grinder with metal grinding wheel? Put the wheel on a "lazy Susan".

KT

OK you have convinced me to go for it.
Trekkor
You need to feel those tires grip. It's insane wacko.gif

That alone will boost your confidence and make you drive faster.

Ask Randal to instruct you. He's good. clap.gif

KT
Mueller
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Mar 17 2005, 10:02 PM)
QUOTE (trekkor @ Mar 17 2005, 08:26 PM)

KT

OK you have convinced me to go for it.

the hubcentric feature on the front hubs are there for reason, you start mickey mouse grinding the wheel and you can run into problems.......
Trekkor
Part of the fun with VW/914 four bolt lugs, is sittng on the ground and lifting the wheel with both yer feet while installing. dry.gif

KT
Mueller
QUOTE (trekkor @ Mar 17 2005, 11:07 PM)
Part of the fun with VW/914 four bolt lugs, is sittng on the ground and lifting the wheel with both yer feet while installing. dry.gif

KT

the hubcentric ring is not to help mount the wheels, it's for additional safety and load bearing so that the studs do not have to take all of the force........
Trekkor
No wheels fit that snug to actually support the load off the lugs. And then there's the five lug VW/356 pattern/wheel...

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 17 2005, 10:11 PM)
QUOTE (trekkor @ Mar 17 2005, 11:07 PM)

KT

the hubcentric ring is not to help mount the wheels, it's for additional safety and load bearing so that the studs do not have to take all of the force........

I wonder why Porsche didnt do the same for the rear hubs? Seems to me that more weight/stress is on the rear. When you combine power with this it seems the rear would need just as much support as the fronts. My wheels are very close to fitting so if I work carfefully to make the hole a little bigger I dont see this as being a "mickey mouse" project I think its more "Donald Duck".

I recall you saying saying it was unwise to put r compound on old but not often used wheels? What should I do in your opinion? Chuck these and get new perfectly machined wheels for occasional AX use? I just need to understand the concern. Will wheels that dont fit prefect on the front hubcentric flange be a danger?
rhodyguy
to do it correctly you would have to do all 4 wheels.

k
davep
It is as much for centering as for reducing stress on the wheel bolts. Hence the term 'hub centric'. The 911 did get hub centric rears.
grantsfo
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 18 2005, 06:10 AM)
to do it correctly you would have to do all 4 wheels.

k

Yeah I was thinking the same. Then you dont have to worry about which wheel goes where.
Trekkor
all 4 wheels

The rears are already mounted and fit. Why would you want to cut on them, too?

KT
Mueller
QUOTE (trekkor @ Mar 18 2005, 08:24 AM)
all 4 wheels

The rears are already mounted and fit. Why would you want to cut on them, too?

KT

so you can rotate the tires ??? smile.gif
rhodyguy
exactly. you would have to dismount, remount and rebalance just to rotate the tires. the hand trimming could leave you with HUGE weights at strange locations on the wheels. screw the pooch and the wheels are scrap metal.

k
Trekkor
Perfect... biggrin.gif

KT
grantsfo
This whole thing has me spooked now. I was looking at the wheels again and measuring. There wont be much material left on the rim where it mounts onto the hub if I get the bore size correct. If the purpose of the hub center is to reduce stress this wheel will not be nearly as strong as my Fuchs once I cut into them.

I know people have run and raced these wheels in the past on 914's I wonder how they did it. Maybe a combination of machining the flange a little and the wheel too.
grantsfo
In doing more research I discovered that pre 1973 914's didnt come with front hubs with the centering flange. Thats the reason I have seen these wheels on other 914's. Mine being a 74 has them. I think I'm going to scrap this project and just go with some expensive custom wheels. Look to classifieds soon anyone with a pre 73 914 as I will have some wheels for sale..

I should have remebered this as I use to mount these wheels on my father's 71 for AX and I had to use the old foot cradle method to install them.
rhodyguy
would'nt be it be cheaper and easier to get a set of correct hubs and some new pads? what will a machinist ding you per wheel? someone who's done it BEFORE?

k

grantsfo
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 18 2005, 09:36 AM)
would'nt be it be cheaper and easier to get a set of correct hubs and some new pads? what will a machinist ding you per wheel? someone who's done it BEFORE?

k

I think its cheaper and better in long run for me to sell the wheels and get some of those 15x7 revolutions.
Revolution Wheels
Hi Grant,
We still have some sets of 7x15's left, and they are on sale only until the end of the month and unfortunately the price will have to go up quite a bit...(See our post in Resources). We are putting together a shipment to be flown over from the UK early next week so they can be here very shortly. Our next shipment probably won't be until late April or May.
If you or anybody else is interested give me a call at 800-872-5894.

Many Thanks,
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.